What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Food Saver cowl blister

fl-mike

Well Known Member
So, I needed a cowl blister for clearing the fuel servo controls. I found some aluminum blisters on ebay, but knew they would be dent magnets, so I bought one to use as a mold for a fiberglass blister.
Seemed like vacuum bagging would be the way to go on this part, but I have no vacuum bagging supplies or equipment. (except for peel ply)
My wife was sealing up some frozen chicken cutlets in the kitchen with her vacuum/heat sealing Food Saver.....hmmmmm.....
So, I made up a Foodsaver bag, made some plastic release sheet with my leather punch, some bleeder cloth from polyfill sheet in the sewing supplies cabinet, put it all together in the shop in the bag, brought it in, and....
Durned if it didn't work like a champ! Sucked that bag down and heat sealed it, no muss, no fuss. Cut the bag open the next morning, pulled the part, a little trimming with snips and, there ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_3611.jpg
    IMG_3611.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_3619.jpg
    IMG_3619.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 394
Excellent idea! I'll wait till she's at work... she's still getting over the small stain on the quartz top on the kitchen island. Musta dripped a little acetone from another project. Thanks for sharing.

Brilliant. We have one too. You can buy the bag material in rolls. Possibilities!

yes, that's what I used. Just make sure you make the bag long enough to leave some margin at the end of the bag so you don't inadvertently suck resin into the "juice trough". That would not go over well!

Polyester or Epoxy

The only concern I would have is any out gases reacting with the vacuum pump seals or plastics causing damage.

I can tell you first hand you don't want to store mixed polyester resin in a refrigerator. It was suggested to slow the curing down so you had more working time. Very bad idea. The out gassing from the polyester curing reacted with the foam insulation in the fridge and contaminated all the food.

That was when I was young and foolish. Now I am just old and forgetful.

Back