What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EX - 00044 New Exhaust System for 12 ULS

I got my answer from Vans today. The EGT probe holes in mine were mis-drilled. You might want to check yours. The fix is easy but I had to ship my tubes back.

For those of you temped to order this system - don't, at least not just yet. Those of you that have, and have received them, chances are likely that the EGT probe holes in the aft tubes are mis-drilled. I had to send mine back to get repaired. I got them back pretty quick ....but...

The system does not fit my cowling. The forward left spring hanger and spring contact the fiberglass and no amount of "adjusting" the muffler is going to fix it. My guess it would require some fiberglass work and a Bump" into the radiator intake plenum.

Sent a note to Vans today, so they should be working it. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 293
I received my kit in December 2020

Any body else out there order this kit? I need you to check something for me.

I have not installed the exhaust kit yet and I am still in the assembly stage of my legacy RV-12 build. Engine is waiting to be installed after I get the new engine mount bracket. But after examining the KAI 48 Exhaust System drawings it would appear that the individual tubes with the kit were miss-marked for the cylinder they go to. There are no actual part numbers on the tubes, just paper labels with the cylinder number written on them and taped to the tubes. It appears that the one labelled 1 may actually be for cyl. 3, labelled 2 may actually be for cyl. 1, labelled 3 may actually be for cyl. 2, and labelled 4 is okay. As I mentioned I have not tried to install these yet so this is not verified.

Hi folks. We are aware of this, looking into it further, and will be communication with you soon. Sorry for the wait.

I have not installed the exhaust kit yet and I am still in the assembly stage of my legacy RV-12 build. Engine is waiting to be installed after I get the new engine mount bracket. But after examining the KAI 48 Exhaust System drawings it would appear that the individual tubes with the kit were miss-marked for the cylinder they go to. There are no actual part numbers on the tubes, just paper labels with the cylinder number written on them and taped to the tubes. It appears that the one labelled 1 may actually be for cyl. 3, labelled 2 may actually be for cyl. 1, labelled 3 may actually be for cyl. 2, and labelled 4 is okay. As I mentioned I have not tried to install these yet so this is not verified.

Pay no attention to how they are marked. Compare the shape of the two aft tubes to the plans. Then, compare the position of the probe holes to the drawing.

Dear RV-12 Builder/Owner,

We recently shipped you a new EX-00044 exhaust system for your RV-12 with a Rotax 912 ULS engine.

We’re excited for you to get in installed and flying, but unfortunately we’ve become aware of manufacturing errors in the exhaust system we sent you, which must be corrected. The issues are:

The EGT probe holes were mis-drilled in the EX-00044C pipe for Cyl #3 and the EX-00044D pipe for Cyl #4
The spring hooks are mis-located on the EX-00044B pipe for Cyl #2 , which causes a fit issue within the cowl

Please return the EX-00044C and EX-00044D pipes to Van’s Aircraft for correction. When you provide a copy of receipt for your return shipping cost Van’s will reimburse you. Or, if you prefer, please confirm your address information and Van’s will email you a return shipping label and instructions.

Please discard the EX-00044B pipe, as you will receive a new part and should not use the one you initially received from us.

What we are going to do: The EX-00044C and EX-00044D will be repaired by Van’s. We will plug weld the wrong hole and redrill in the correct location. A new replacement EX-00044B will be provided. All three pieces will be shipped back to you as soon as possible. All of these actions are being taken at Van’s cost.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes, and we look forward to hearing from you and getting the issue corrected as soon as possible.

Thank you,

The Van’s Aircraft Team

Last edited:
We notified customers who have received problematic parts last night and will be addressing the issues as soon as possible, of course. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Sent parts back to Vans

Dear RV-12 Builder/Owner,

We recently shipped you a new EX-00044 exhaust system for your RV-12 with a Rotax 912 ULS engine.

We’re excited for you to get in installed and flying, but unfortunately we’ve become aware of manufacturing errors in the exhaust system we sent you, which must be corrected. The issues are:

The EGT probe holes were mis-drilled in the EX-00044C pipe for Cyl #3 and the EX-00044D pipe for Cyl #4
The spring hooks are mis-located on the EX-00044B pipe for Cyl #2 , which causes a fit issue within the cowl

Please return the EX-00044C and EX-00044D pipes to Van’s Aircraft for correction. When you provide a copy of receipt for your return shipping cost Van’s will reimburse you. Or, if you prefer, please confirm your address information and Van’s will email you a return shipping label and instructions.

Please discard the EX-00044B pipe, as you will receive a new part and should not use the one you initially received from us.

What we are going to do: The EX-00044C and EX-00044D will be repaired by Van’s. We will plug weld the wrong hole and redrill in the correct location. A new replacement EX-00044B will be provided. All three pieces will be shipped back to you as soon as possible. All of these actions are being taken at Van’s cost.

We apologize for the inconvenience this causes, and we look forward to hearing from you and getting the issue corrected as soon as possible.

Thank you,

The Van’s Aircraft Team

Vans made this easy so far. I got a return Fedex label after requesting it, and I printed and put it on the box with the two pipes. Cost me nothing but a trip to local Fedex store. I don't know how long it will take to get them reworked and the new pipe returned. I'm sure it's a major pain for them especially with all of the Covid issues.

An update. 10 hours on the new exhaust system. Thought I might have some slip joint blow-by (see pic) but upon detailed inspection it was just the cowling hinge working a bit. The slip joints and muffler sockets are clean, tight, and leak free. I did modify the cowling on the left side. I wasn’t happy with the clearance. Not a huge deal (see pic). Due to the spring positioning of the EX-00044 design, I’m betting the occurrence of spring failures have been significantly reduced. All things considered, I’m happy I did it.

Attachments

• 961E14D8-963D-44F0-AB5D-5010A41EA18A.jpeg
    961E14D8-963D-44F0-AB5D-5010A41EA18A.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 202
  • CC8C241D-DE7A-4270-8CF5-66331E964F80.jpg
    CC8C241D-DE7A-4270-8CF5-66331E964F80.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 219
An update. 10 hours on the new exhaust system. Thought I might have some slip joint blow-by (see pic) but upon detailed inspection it was just the cowling hinge working a bit. The slip joints and muffler sockets are clean, tight, and leak free. I did modify the cowling on the left side. I wasn’t happy with the clearance. Not a huge deal (see pic). Due to the spring positioning of the EX-00044 design, I’m betting the occurrence of spring failures have been significantly reduced. All things considered, I’m happy I did it.

I have the black powder dust accumulate on my cowling after flying for about 3 hours too. I first thought it was exhaust, but I agree it's the hinge wearing away. Only 210 hrs on the plane, not sure if it's going to get worse or better with time..

I just installed the new Exhaust EX-00044 on my Classic RV12. Some observations. Before the change I was getting a rather high CO reading in the cockpit during climb-out. Like 45ppm. Then in cruise it would drop down to 5-10. Even taxiing I had some level of CO indicating.

I just did my first flight this morning with the new exhaust and I now have zero CO levels in all phases of operation. I knew I had a leak in the old system and I tried shorter springs and other things to try and fix it. Sometimes I could get slight improvements, but still had C0 readings. So I pulled the trigger and ordered the new Exhaust system. It is expensive but I am happy I did it.

And the oil temperature on climb-out is lower as well. The muffler is much further away from the oil cooler, and the results were quite noticeable.

Last edited:
I just installed the new Exhaust EX-00044 on my Classic RV12. Some observations. Before the change I was getting a rather high Co2 reading in the cockpit during climb-out. Like 45ppm. Then in cruise it would drop down to 5-10. Even taxiing I had some level of Co2 indicating.
I just did my first flight this morning with the new exhaust and I now have zero Co2 levels in all phases of operation. I knew I had a leak in the old system and I tried shorter springs and other things to try and fix it. Sometimes I could get slight improvements, but still had C02 readings. So I pulled the trigger and ordered the new Exhaust system. It is expensive but I am happy I did it.
And the oil temperature on climb-out is lower as well. The muffler is much further away from the oil cooler, and the results were quite noticeable.

Hopefully you mean CO. Low levels of CO2 in the cockpit should not be a problem.

$1800 for the newer exhaust system, plus shipping, and how many degrees cooler, on average, would you say your oil temperature is on climb out in the summer heat gaining 2000 feet AGL?

Are you experiencing any temperature inversions this summer on climb out?

So far I’ve only had one flight with the new exhaust so nothing definitive yet. But the old system on an 80 to 85 degree day I would be in the yellow zone around 1000 agl and have to level off and reduce power to cool things down. On my last flight with the new system it was 75 degrees on the ground at 390 msl and about 85 degrees at 3000 msl. So yes inversion. I never did reach the yellow. Typically I climb out out at 75 knots up to 1500 ft and then 85 knots to altitude, unless things get hot.

Last edited:
See if you can note if you're running at 210, 215, 220F at 2000 or 3000 ft AGL on your next flight. Where the oil temp stops going up at on your continuous climbs. I'm interested in the new oil temps delta, how much lower that 230F where it enters the yellow range.

See if you can note if you're running at 210, 215, 220F at 2000 or 3000 ft AGL on your next flight. Where the oil temp stops going up at on your continuous climbs. I'm interested in the new oil temps delta, how much lower that 230F where it enters the yellow range.

I will get data the next time I go up. The smoke is filling in here so I'm not sure when I will fly next.

Today's observation in my friends 2016 RV-12 Legacy. Takeoff weight estimated at 1310#, 91 Octane Premium, no ethanol content that can be measured.

OAT 22C at 1020 Elev, Rel Humidity 88% OAC at 2700 27C, climb rate 500 fpm at 5120 Rpm, oil temp 232F, not quite 1700 ft gained. Oil temp at takeoff 142F, upon start of takeoff.

Today's observation in my friends 2016 RV-12 Legacy. Takeoff weight estimated at 1310#, 91 Octane Premium, no ethanol content that can be measured.

OAT 22C at 1020 Elev, Rel Humidity 88% OAC at 2700 27C, climb rate 500 fpm at 5120 Rpm, oil temp 232F, not quite 1700 ft gained. Oil temp at takeoff 142F, upon start of takeoff.

I cant help but think that the airplane might benefit from a prop pitch adjustment.
At that field elevation, temp, and weight, the airplane should be climbing 900 fpm.
Incorrect prop pitch can have a negative influence on oil temp.

Back