What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FBO Oxygen Fill Adapters?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a portable O2 system with CGA-540 fittings. I've read here & elsewhere that I will need to carry along one or more adapters for filling at FBOs while traveling. So far I've only filled at home, so I have no experience with typical FBO fill fittings.

Which adapter(s) should I carry to provide a reasonable assurance of compatibility?

Also, what sources do you recommend for these adapters, or the fittings to make my own, at less-than-aviation prices? I found my CGA-540 transfiller on eBay for significantly less than the aviation O2 suppliers. I'm also looking for fittings to assemble a CGA-540 supply cylinder intercoupling to cascade a second cylinder to my supply setup.

Thanks!

I started sourcing the adapters one eBay, but in the end went with the Aerox trans fill setup from Spruce. They were $100 less than Aerox directly and had the adapters to fill all three types and a 2 tank cascade system. The extra adapters are appreciated when guests visit.

I’m pretty sure CGA540 is the aircraft standard. You shouldn’t have to have any adaptors to re-fill at an FBO, just money. You will need adaptors to re-fill from a medical or welding supply oxygen source, as they use different hardware.

CGA-Compressed Gas Association

CGA-540

Search on-line for Superior or Western Fittings when looking for CGA items.

Almost any local Welding Supply Store can help get the adapter you need, Just give them the CGA number and if you are looking for a Male or Female connection.

Mike

Unless you are using a medical “E” tank, this is not what you need.

I guess I am using a medical "E" tank. This adaptor goes from GCA-540 to GCA-870 the tanks used in many portable oxygen systems that use a post valve. The tanks come in a variety of sizes to include "E".

Back