What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS No More Leak Induction Tube Solution

Glad you like them Wayne. Proper spring clamp pliers certainly make compressing the clamps easier than using channel locks.

Thanks for supporting SDS. :)

Ross

Could you provide a version that is split with flanges and bolts that would be assembled onto the angle valve intake tubes? With the precision machining available it should not be a problem. The loads on the joint would be minimal.

Bruce,

I evaluated several split designs last year and couldn't come up with anything that was comfortably rigid to do the job properly IMO.

Also at this point in time, we lack enough local machining capacity to add any more new products to our line.

The shop that produces the current flanges is always seriously backlogged in keeping up with orders from us and his other clients. This should change with the addition of a new VF-4 mill towards the end of this month. Priority has to be given to the EFI kit parts as that is our main focus. We've been trying to get the new Rotax 912 kit parts done for over 2 months... Almost there now.

Induction pipe mod

Hey Ross,

We had several email exchanges about possibly getting Superior to put your flanges on first, understand they haven't been responsive.

I was reticent about cutting and welding the Superior pipes, but so glad I did!

What an absolutely great mod. No intake leaks, easy to remove, etc.

I had a high-school kid cut and weld the pipes with TIG, no big deal.

It would be great if Superior got onboard, but not such a big deal to cut/weld the pipes.

Would highly recommend this mod to anyone, it's such an improvement over the paper gaskets.

Just my two cents.

Ed

Hey Ross,

We had several email exchanges about possibly getting Superior to put your flanges on first, understand they haven't been responsive.

I was reticent about cutting and welding the Superior pipes, but so glad I did!

What an absolutely great mod. No intake leaks, easy to remove, etc.

I had a high-school kid cut and weld the pipes with TIG, no big deal.

It would be great if Superior got onboard, but not such a big deal to cut/weld the pipes.

Would highly recommend this mod to anyone, it's such an improvement over the paper gaskets.

Just my two cents.

Ed

Dang now you got me thinking about doing mine ... I have everything sitting here but was not excited about cutting the tubes :eek:

Tig welder

Just do it. I took 4 new tubes from Superior and had them cut install the flanges and Tig them up for $60 bucks. Worth it!

Ross - do you have the hoses and clamps now for the Superior forward facing cold-air sumps?

Ross - do you have the hoses and clamps now for the Superior forward facing cold-air sumps?

We're only stocking the traditional 1.75 ID hoses and clamps to fit. Unfortunately we can't even keep up with supplying these on a regular basis. The machine shop is working on another 100 flanges this week in between trying to finish about 300 other parts for Lycoming and Rotax systems which are already a week behind schedule.

Trevor is down to one mill for part last week and this week. 2 of 3 mills and the lathe had to have mold scrubbed out this week and coolant changed. That's what happens when you are too busy to perform maintenance because you work 7 days a week for 3 years trying to keep up... It comes back to bite you with a vengeance.:(

Should have all 4 machines back running by Thursday. I hope.

Superior tubes

Just curious where you were able to get just the tubes?
Thanks!
Same here - from what I have seen these are superior part number SV78945 but I have not found someone selling them. Perhaps my google-fu is not working today.

Also, are you interested in selling your old tubes? :D

Took my induction tubes off yesterday to check for leaks, and now I better understand why these kinds of leaks are so common.

Back