What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Paint in a rattle can to 99% match Vans powdercoat

PaulvS

Well Known Member
This triangular rib test piece has been painted with Rustoleum Farm & Implement "Ford Gray" and the bracket above it is Vans powdercoat. The color match is extremely close and the Rustoleum has slightly more gloss. This paint is an alkyd enamel so it is not super fast drying but I did not have any problem with dust and it is very easy to use. It seems to have a reasonably durable finish (it is intended for farm equipment). It is available in 12 oz spray cans and quarts.

pWvlzoeFoSjHnCmY0kpMMfbvBObRNHQDu3Py9_qimgcY-ymuhrSFVeDv61lNenqfrapRkSxYJww4yJyyUlDjNmnLSB71CI7LRNKXCGLzBh2-wKLcEDMLCustk7b-ebLuiJmnC2OKAqbKtVuZKewfLTH-VqCYpmfTUWetD9HPwcXKBtnxPScXrkq7PSmbP22621brqT0TArXYXWcSu1JN3KOObEyT-pYUH3vbp-07f1paKsrF8YgfJj525c6DQqZFgfspTeHQqIbJ9TSjhKx_544NJZauaLf8ICIsz5i_UzfUou8Ctc45jYvv5U014npX8O0hy1f5mx9-CD03gn6gYvq4kudjC3NJtycQixTHHaEeNWUtSz9reqnE9Gtmy0352_mTmoAxJoBnQHM7yQxZSUxMqhlt-o7MQmddc7ylYPkG6wBNCNl5HDW31i2h6aODP-m85Sy4VLnXMv5gPMS7TkGhumDviKqwRzf-WvSynqNndbdFfV56H3P9d2iqsevmjolZPKlzHqwIVpvo5_WPzDsT8blYW_V5WN-O7-ox6BwiajpGYzWNCH-6ufKL6pXPBeP_0qV8Q0IA9V6V_ZwrObRDI30tZz9PdLedZ-hYrinFl37AS4Ixj_opwkqzufhNjwrJt2tr_jQXLST7qeamb-NIYnpEZwQFeEjfeDjtSImhKlSXONIGPBVaBDcp_mNmJ6BV4w=w1680-h881-ft

Last edited:
Paul,
Looking at my powder coat, it looks white. Is the Ford Gray a very light color of Gray?
Thanks,
Charlie

Ford Gray

Charlie,
Yes the Ford Gray is a light shade of gray, it is not white, but it is very light. The powder coated part in the picture came in my finishing kit in 2000 and is the same light gray as the canopy frame and the other parts that are from Vans. The other newer RV that I fly has the same light gray powdercoat.

It may be that Vans has changed the color of the powdercoat to white over the years, I do not know, but someone on the forum might. There is also a Rustoleum white in the same range but I haven't tested it.

The Rustoleum rattle can was $13.95 AUD and it would be less in the US, so no great loss if you try it and it doesn't match.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see if anyone in the US finds this in stock anywhere. Looks like Home Depot carries it, but as a special order item, and only in packs of six cans. I'm kind of interested in having this around, but not sure I need/want six cans.

I'll be curious to see if anyone in the US finds this in stock anywhere. Looks like Home Depot carries it, but as a special order item, and only in packs of six cans. I'm kind of interested in having this around, but not sure I need/want six cans.

I looked. Seems hard to find.

I ordered some spray cans from LVP and they are very very close.

Aren't the two Van's powdercoat colors (I believe they changed a few years ago) just stock colors? Why not just buy a couple of cans of the correct color-matched paint and keep them on the shelf? LVP has them, I believe Cardinal does as well. I even got a paint "pen" in the correct color from LVP.

Oooh, Tractor Supply is a good call, seems pretty obvious in retrospect.

It is odd for my brain to see the gray color on my monitor (following Blake's Cardinal link) and believe that it really is a match. I'd almost swear up and down the powder coat is straight white, if I didn't know how weird the human brain is about colors.

I guess I don't understand why this is such a deal...from Van's

POWDER COATED PARTS: Older gray parts are Cardinal brand, color GR-230.More recent white parts are Cardinal brand, color T009-WH111 90% gloss. An equivalent Sherwin Williams code is PWS9-40002. A Dupli-Color applicator is also available from some auto parts stores: part code NG CC 362

Thus, older powdercoat, use Cardinal-T009-GR230 from LVP
Newer powdercoat, use Cardinal-T009-WH111 from LVP
You can get it in spray cans, 2 oz bottles, pens, pints, quarts, gallons or as a powder.

Unless you want to try matching Rustoleum or something for some reason which I don't get, why not do it right?

Last edited:
Well, I tried the Rust-oleum Ford Gray, and it is considerably lighter in color than the rest of my interior. I am trying to match my new switch console. Does anyone have a suggestion on which color might be a better match?

IMG_5383.jpg

Well, I tried the Rust-oleum Ford Gray, and it is considerably lighter in color than the rest of my interior. I am trying to match my new switch console. Does anyone have a suggestion on which color might be a better match?

View attachment 1349

You know, I must not be very clear in my posts or something.

*You can buy the actual color to match in spray cans, quarts, gallons, powder, etc." from LVP.

I guess if you want to spend a bunch of time trying to find a "close enough" can from Home Depot, you can do that, or you can just get the correct matching color from LVP (or any other place that supplies powdercoating).

Your post is clear enough. That being said, the color you mentioned, and the link you posted, are NOT THE COLOR I have. Your condescending attitude is not helpful.

The part you’re trying to color match is not something that came from Vans already powder coated. The powder coated parts are usually steel, I’m not aware of any aluminum parts that they powder coat. You can take the part that you’re trying to match to any auto paint store and they can color match it.

View attachment 1349

The part you’re trying to color match is not something that came from Vans already powder coated. The powder coated parts are usually steel, I’m not aware of any aluminum parts that they powder coat. You can take the part that you’re trying to match to any auto paint store and they can color match it.

Thank you for your helpful reply!

Back