What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ductworks Landing Light Replacement Options

kklewin

Well Known Member
Put the ductworks landing lights in each wind during my build (1999-2004). Wonder what options exist for replacing the old lens and bulb set up with LEDs? Anyone been down this road?

I was able to replace each of the Duckworks 55w Halogen's in my RV-4 with Taxi-Combo lights from Paul and FlyLED's. I'm VERY happy with the difference and the resulting light output.

https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Combo-Leading-Edge-Landing-Taxi-light/p/109859298/category=0

I had to enlarge the hole in the bracket just a touch larger but was able to fit the new light in through the lens hole on the leading edge. No need to take the wingtip off (which is good, the builder of my airplane permanently attached them).

also...

Also, the Baja Designs Squadron pro will fit...and there is a guy that makes an adapter for the duckworks mount...

Any contact info on adaptor manufacturer?

James Burgess is the gentleman who was making these. I bought two adapters for my RV-10.

As I recall, he had a few sets made and sold what he wasn't using for his build. Sorry, I don't have any more information than that.

Squadron Pros

I used two of these mounts and replaced my old Duckworks with Squadron Pros. Install was very easy. Really, really happy with the results (W96 gets DARK and sometimes there's critters down there!).

I used the "spot" Squadron Pros for both wings, based on recommendations here, and really would not want the beams any wider.

Currently trying to figure out how best to replace my dinosaur strobes and ancient colored nav LEDs in the wingtips with something more modern.

James Burgess is the gentleman who was making these. I bought two adapters for my RV-10.

As I recall, he had a few sets made and sold what he wasn't using for his build. Sorry, I don't have any more information than that.

I hardly ever fly at night since I retired from commercial flying so I now always use the landing and taxi lights during the day for collision avoidance. I replaced the 55 watt halogens with 100 watt halogens and it was a nice difference however I didn't realize how yellow they are until I installed an LED. Also notice the how clearer and brighter the grass looks with the LED. BTW they are $20 H3 LEDS and they produce no noise in the comms either. It doesn't have to be an expensive upgrade unless you want it to be.

Now I have 2 LEDs and installed a wig wag too. Click on the picture below for a short sample video:

Last edited:
I used the Duckworks wing LED lights (cheap and very bright) on both wingtips to replace the old halogen lights. Just designed two round adapter plates with a small hole in the middle and screwed them on. Works perfectly and easy installation.

Back