What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 vs RV-8

neck101

I realize this is the -14 section of the forum, but I also see quite a few posters who previously built RV-8s, sold them, and are now building/flying -14s. I had originally leaned towards the -8, but now looking hard at the bigger aircraft.

I am retired, most interested in comfort, will be flying solo most of the time, and while I may do acro occasionally, I'm more interested in straight and level at this point in life (spent a ton of time inverted or going straight up in fighters and instructing). However, I also see that the -8QB costs the same as -14A slow build. Engine prices (200 hp vs 210 hp) are close to the same also.

So, did those of you who switched to the -14 do so because of the size, ease of build, or what?

Thanks, John

Last edited:
No experience in RV8/8A but to me the biggest/most obvious advantages of the 14/14A are: roominess, side-by-side seating (may not matter to you but most pax would rather sit beside pilot instead of behind), and ease of build (holes drilled to rivet size, limited fabrication of key structures, fewer weldments - especially canopy and gear, standardized wire harnesses, etc.) If you did QB 8/8A would eliminate most of the build-related differences. Many folks don't like the prefab/standard harnesses but I did so that's a builder's choice kind of decision. I guess panel size might be an advantage for 14 over 8 as well, depending on your needs for avionics.

What I tell builders:
- Fly mostly by yourself, RV-8 with 180hp IO-360 and Hartzell BA prop. It does not get much better than that.
- Fly a lot with your wife, RV-14 with IO-390 and Hartzell BS prop. For most wives the novelty of the rear seat wears off fast.
- Want to be a hero with your wife, the RV-10 (it is not much more cost over the RV-14). My wife ended up in the back on long legs as she like the room to spread out and nap.

Carl

Let me get this strait.... You're a former fighter pilot and you are thinking about building an RV-14 to fly solo most of the time instead of an RV-8? (Yes...you will fly solo 90% plus)

As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman: Big Mistake...Huge!

Guess I'm one of those guys who sold their RV-8 to build an RV-14A. Reasons were as follows:

1. Doing less acro now, and the 14 does that nearly as well.
2. Not trying to be a fighter pilot anymore.
3. A larger panel affords much better instumentation.
4. There is no practical way to get heat to the back seat on the RV-8. I had heated seats, but there is no way to get warm air back there. You have to work really hard to get rid of all the airleaks. Don't know about your companion, but mine does not do well when cold.
5. Needed another project to avoid watching tv all day.
6. Van's gives repeat offenders a 3% discount!!

Brent

The Thinking Man's RV-10

PS: Since you will rarely use the back seats, and have to pay insurance for the possibility of two more dirt baths, the 14 is the thinking man's RV-10.

Brent

Brent...couple of things...so how would you rate the newer build procedures of the -14 vs the -8 you built? And by "dirt baths", are you referring to ground loops?

By dirt bath he's referring to the insurance risk of 2 extra souls on board if you crash.

I have an older (before the fuse was pre-punched) -8 kit. Having looked at the instruction manual on the -10, it is a world of difference in terms of step-by-step instructions (as opposed to the -8 which has several pages of build manual and a ton of full sized plans). The -10 (and -14) have basically a complete start to finish manual.

Personally, I never finished my -14.
I found a -10 that I couldn't pass up and bought in on the spot.
(then I had to go home and tell the wife, ugg!)
But, I digress.....
One thing I would add to the conversation is comfort in turbulence/flight.
I owned an -8, loved it, and actually building another right now.
However, it can be a hard ride in turbulence, probably due to wing loading (I really don't know what that means, but people I respect tell me that's what it is;)) The -14 as in the -10 is going to be heavier, so will probably give you a better ride.
Additionally, try taking your dog with you in an -8, it just seems that it would be much easier in a side by side.... and the selfies come out much better.

Regardless of choice, the plans can be purchased from Vans for a small fee.
I bought the digital 14 plans when evaluating if I could do it. Appears to be same as printed plans that come with kit.

Rob.

+1

Let me get this strait.... You're a former fighter pilot and you are thinking about building an RV-14 to fly solo most of the time instead of an RV-8? (Yes...you will fly solo 90% plus)

As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman: Big Mistake...Huge!

Like Danny says, no comparison. Apples and oranges.

I?m also with Danny. If you are flying mostly solo, the RV8 is the only choice. Both kits are advance engineered prepunch kits. The RV14 is a little more advanced, but if you can build an RV14, the RV8 will be nearly the same, construction-wise. On the RV14, following status quo according to plans is more important in terms of building a great airplane quickly. On the RV8, the systems outside the airframe (engine, electrical system) will have a more flexible effect on the build time because they haven?t been pre-engineered into the airframe kit. Both kits are excellent and you can?t go wrong with either.

Thanks guys and gals for the feedback. Looks like both models are winners. Hard choice, especially with several of you reminding me of my past as a Phantom driver.

Are you quickbuilders satisfied with the quality of the product coming out of the P.I.? Funny, but when I think of the P.I, only Jeepneys, monkey meat, Cubi Specials, and a couple of other things that are probably not appropriate on this forum, come to mind. Aircraft construction is not one of them, but I'm sure Van's has checked those folks out.

Last edited:
Are you planning to fly formation? Like doing so looking cross-cockpit?

Another point to consider...

Could always buy a flying RV3 or RV4 while you build an RV14. Have something to use for ?fun? flying (form/aero), then when you get your XC machine built, figure out if you want to part with it or keep it as the fun side chick.

one more factor to consider is visibility... haven?t flown neither -8 nor -14, but I assume the difference is the same: the -6 is more difficult to land, formate and photo position than the -4 due to lesser lateral vis on the ?dead? side.

On the other hand the -14 gives you access to your stuff, may it be on the pax seat or in the cargo bay. On the -8 you?ll have to stash all your in flight goodies such as extra clothing, hat, shades, John, food & drinks, cell phone, TV & toaster around you before leaving the surely bonds of the Planet...

Why I switched

I put 1700 hours on our -8A QB we built in 16 months from crate to first flight back in 2002. It was my first homebuilt and I loved it. In fact, I planned to die of old age owning that airplane. But my wife did not care for the back seat because of two specific problems -- no instruments and poor heat. The latter was tolerable when we lived in So Cal but the move to Colorado 13 years ago changed that. When she actually asked me to build a -14A and agreed to help like she did on the -8A, I jumped at the opportunity.

The -14A slow build took two years and four months from first crate to first flight in 2016. I would have bought the QB version had it been available but this was back in 2014 and it wasn't an option. My guess is it saves a year and based on my -8A QB I found the workmanship to be excellent.

Building the -14A with the newer style plans was a joy. I could not believe how quickly it went together with all of the matched hole construction. The -8A did not have that and most of the underlying structure had to be matched drilled to the pre-punched skins. Building the -14A was easier all around compared to the -8A.

With nearly 400 hours on the -14A now, I'm glad I made the move to it. The airplane is just as fast and economical as was the -8A, has more baggage room, is larger and more stable in flight. And needless to say, I can pack a lot of usable instruments in the panel. The heating system is much improved over what we had in the -8A, but that said, it is marginal out here at altitude in winter. At 14,000 feet with the resulting low engine power output it can still get uncomfortably cool unless the sun is out.

Those are my reasons in making the move from tandem to side by side. Best of luck making your decision!

Thanks Bill, that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'm going with the -14A. Especially with the improved construction techniques and build instructions, I'll do the slow build version so I can apply the savings to avionics.

Last edited:
I went from a beautiful and capable 7A to a 14A and have been enjoying every bit of it, even more than the 7A. I just flew some practice instrument approach and even though I was rather rusty with flying approaches, it was so much less stressful/handful than the 7A. The pilot workout is far less in a 14 than 7 and I am faster and more room, what not to like. I guess the extra 1.5G of fuel burn

Brent...couple of things...so how would you rate the newer build procedures of the -14 vs the -8 you built? And by "dirt baths", are you referring to ground loops?
No comparison. The instructions for the -14 are infinely better than those of the -8. Many parts are included in the kit that had to be fabricated for the -8. Better materials included inthe the kit (i.e. Andair fuel selector) vs. the -8.

The -8 is still a great airplane and a great kit. The -14 is a better kit, and better fits my mission now.

Brent

I have an 8 and ill tell you just about everyone I know that has a 7, 10 or 14 says something to the effect of "I wish I had built an 8, but my wife..."

I have an 8 and ill tell you just about everyone I know that has a 7, 10 or 14 says something to the effect of "I wish I had built an 8, but my wife..."

Everybody I have met who has an RV says the same thing..."I wish I had an 8, but my wife...". In fact thanks to that sentiment I have my RV-8 and the seller texted me 2 days ago telling me he misses the -8 ! His wife made him build a -7 and sell the -8.

So 2 things to consider, which one is going to be around longer and which one is going to give you the most joy until then :D:D:D

Too broad of a brush...

Everybody I have met who has an RV says the same thing..."I wish I had an 8, but my wife...". In fact thanks to that sentiment I have my RV-8 and the seller texted me 2 days ago telling me he misses the -8 ! His wife made him build a -7 and sell the -8.

You guys obviously haven't met a lot of RV owners. Yes, the RV-8 is a popular airplane, but not "Everybody" wants one. I know many, many RV owners that do not want an RV-8!

You guys obviously haven't met a lot of RV owners. Yes, the RV-8 is a popular airplane, but not "Everybody" wants one. I know many, many RV owners that do not want an RV-8!

Then you agree with me. I clearly said everybody "I MET". That's why I just didn't say everybody.

survey says...

You won't part with it.

Could always buy a flying RV3 or RV4 while you build an RV14. Have something to use for ?fun? flying (form/aero), then when you get your XC machine built, figure out if you want to part with it or keep it as the fun side chick.

Are you planning to fly formation? Like doing so looking cross-cockpit?

Another point to consider...

Lots of RV-6 / 7 pilots fly form at 52F. Having said that, I have no doubt an 8 is fun, but I know if you do young eagles they will greatly appreciate a side by side no doubt!

Last edited:
They are both good

The 14 wasn?t an option when I started, had it been I would have went through this decision making process myself. I?m 6?6? making the 8 the only choice for me at the time. Yes I can squeeze into my buddies 9A, I take the back cushion out. Is it comfortable, not really.

For solo flying, to me, there?s no comparison. 8 all the way. If your occasionally packing a passenger around, then the back seat is ?good enough.? While I enjoy sharing my life in the sky, if there is a person in the back say only 25% of the time, I personally wouldn?t give up my centerline seating and feel. I get that there is a ton of panel space in a side by side, but for me with all this glass panel tech, how much you need really depends on your mission. I?d have to be doing a ton of IFR flying to warrant a side by side because of panel space.

The 14 is definitely easier to build, but given the drastic differences I wouldn?t let that drive my choice. Easpecially since the 8 QB is the same price as a standard 14.

My wife now, the plane was here before she was, would love to have a 14. But my 8 is the mistress I don?t think I?ll ever give up. And while I tell her how nice it would be to have a 14, my plane is getting the job done. Either way I hope to see you in the air cause either way it will be worth it.

Randy
8A

Back