What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tie down Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I don't know how to search this one--even on google, so I will throw this one to the crowd.

Are there tie down rings that click in place? The ones that I have are screw in. So you have to unscrew when you don't want them in place.

Is there a a two part system? screw in A that leaves a low profile head that the ring can slide and lock into and then be removed while flying.

Yes I am lazy.

Well, the answer is yes. Check out the Baggage area tie down rings in the Vans catalog. I believe Vans has the aluminum version. I have also seen them in steel.
You can also find similar hardware in the motor cycle transport section of your local motor cycle dealers.

Most spam cans have the tie down rings left in place permanently. From what I have read, leaving them in vs. removing them doesn't make a measurable difference to speed or fuel economy, so the only reason to remove them would seem to be because you don't like how they look.

If you don't like how they look, from what I have seen posted there is an alternate tie down that has a ball on the end with a hole through it for the tie down rope which screws into the fuselage/wing.

Most spam cans have the tie down rings left in place permanently. From what I have read, leaving them in vs. removing them doesn't make a measurable difference to speed or fuel economy, so the only reason to remove them would seem to be because you don't like how they look.

If you don't like how they look, from what I have seen posted there is an alternate tie down that has a ball on the end with a hole through it for the tie down rope which screws into the fuselage/wing.

However, you are screwing steel parts into aluminum fittings. Over time, and not that much time, they will start to corrode.

It is best to remove them, when not in use.

Yes I am lazy.
No excuse.

Learn how to use the Advance Search and look at the "Search Options" on the left hand side. Also, if you put in a person's name, you can select if they started the thread or simply responded to a thread.

Might be worth checking the rated tension load of anything that clicks in place. A decent storm can blow hard enough to make the plane 'fly', and if the tiedown lines are loose the impulse load can be several times higher than the weight of the plane.

No excuse.

Learn how to use the Advance Search and look at the "Search Options" on the left hand side. Also, if you put in a person's name, you can select if they started the thread or simply responded to a thread.

I believe the "Yes, I am lazy" applied to the desire of avoiding having to screw in and remove the rings each time needed. Searching takes an effort, I agree. Some have trouble searching the archives and A Lot have trouble uploading photos. When someone asks for help, let's help!

Tie down question

I ended up ordering up a pair of solid Titanium tie down rings somewhere a number of years ago. Had to grind a bit to fit. My brother was a machinist making titanium knee joints so I thought it was pretty cool. The tie-down rings look about the same, weigh a bit less, are non corrosive and increase climb rate some immeasurable amount. They are so cool.

Back