What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 170 hp

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Anyone have an opinion on the 170hp O-360 for the 9A?
Less than the 180 hp variant that Vans recommends against, and as an essentially 'derated' 180 it may have to work less hard than the 160hp O-320.
I think the extra weight up front in the 9 might also be helpful.

Thoughts?

O-360

I helped a builder put a standard 180 IO-360 onto his RV-9A. Weight & Balance worked out fine with a Cato three bladed prop.

180hp

That would be a fine engine for the -9. As with any of the Vans designs, good situational awareness of TAS would be prudent to keep in mind, whether in level flight or with the nose pointed earthward.
Note: I have a "slow" -9 with a 180hp with CS and I can not exceed 180TAS in level flight. (I went with hub caps instead of the pressure recovery wheel pants for the time being and I've got a bunch of draggy antennas)

Anyone have an opinion on the 170hp O-360 for the 9A?
Less than the 180 hp variant that Vans recommends against, and as an essentially 'derated' 180 it may have to work less hard than the 160hp O-320.
I think the extra weight up front in the 9 might also be helpful.

Thoughts?

I have that motor in my RV8 and it has been fantasic. O360-B2C

starts easy and will run on any fuel. wear numbers have been very low in oil analyst over the last 600 hours. I run this motor hard with high rpms/aerobatics and it has been very reliable. I'm also running a 3 blade catto on it. My cruise proformance mirrors all the RV7/8 that I fly with. I do notice the less HP on the takeoff, but it would be negligible with a constant speed prop.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea...

For the reasons stated by schmitty, that would be an ideal engine for me! Low compression, run on autogas, with a constant speed prop.

In a perfect world I'll find a -6,-7, or -9 someday set up that way and replace my 150hp FP -6.

Interestingly, the 170hp O-360 and the 160hp O-320 are about the same price from Superior Air

Pmag

Hi Tom. I switched the right mag for a Lightspeed 3.
Starts well. Have not flown the plane yet. Soon!
I personally think the 0320 160 hp will be fine here at sea level.
Plane weighed in at 1025 with wood prop. CG is fine with 75 lbs of bags.
What is the weight difference between the two engines. My opinion would
Be to keep the nose wheel light.

Last edited:
Weights

Weight range on the O-320 is 276-280lbs
The O-360 is 290-297lbs
So a maximum difference of about 25lbs

Just curious if there is a weight difference when replacing mags with electronic ignition. I have no clue how much a mag weighs. Would it be beneficial to weight when using the 360 to replace mags and use a lighter lithium battery? Obviously that opens a whole new can of worms with the electrical system though. IF mags are heavier and you had them on a 320 with a regular battery seems like the 360 with electronic ignition and a lithium battery wouldn't be drastically different. Hoping someone who knows these answers will chime in!!!!!

Good question. Also, is 25lbs a significant enough difference to cause a concern with nose wheel weight?

I have a -9A with an IO-360-A1A with fixed Sensenich prop. The weight on the nose wheel is well within the limits established by Van's. I do have the Odesey 680 clone mounted behind the baggage department. Dan from Reno

Back