What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping paint out of nutplates, etc?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
What's the easiest way to spray primer or paint over parts which include nutplates, or other tiny bits you don't want to have painted?

Shoot fire, I prime my plate nuts!
Never a problem.

Carl

I agree with Carl. Any primer that gets into the threads will come out when you first install the screw. FYI, the nut plate locking feature is done by crimping the steel. That means that the first time you attempt to install a screw, it will go in very hard. On virgin nut plates, use a hex head [rather than Phillips head] fastener, coated with Boe Lube, NeverSeize, etc. Run this temporary fastener in once or twice, then install the permanent fastener.

For the interior I purchased 100-120 ct boxes of #8 and #10 3/4" fasteners for $6 that are barely threaded in before painting.

I'm in the no paint camp. Previously for stuff like this, I've used nylon screws from the hardware aisle of ace hardware just screwed in by hand. although I have to confess I couldn't find them the other day and just stuck a tint dab of tape over the hole. U can also use them to keep the threads clear of epoxy resin if you're working with fiberglass, because epoxy won't stick to them.

I've seen paint shops use a thing that looks like a rubber golf tee to plug the hole before they go to town, but I don't know what they're called. Probably over the top for just a few here and there.

No worries

A little paint and/or primer won't affect the ability of a nut plate to work. If nothing else, it's adds a little preservative to the threads and enhances their locking force. ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't spend any time on it.

The conventional wisdom seems to be just spray over, hard to argue against experience.

For situations where you might have your own reasons to keep primer or paint out of threads or you want to prevent over-spray though a hole, I find that a cut Q tip can be handy. Depends on the size of the fastener or opening of course, but cutting a Q tip in half then sliding the stick side through the hole works pretty good. They stay in place well enough, the cotton part is enough to fill the hole but not shadow much of the surround area, and it's quick and easy to remove.

q-tip

I kept a bunch of q-tips (sniped in half), and just stuck them in nutplates when painting. I felt his retains the nutplates intended thread finish, without altering it with grease or paint.

Layed all my nut plates out on a screen and primed them in batches before assembly. No problem. Overkill - probably.

I use a dab of beeswax. Keeps paint out, plus lubes the nutplate so the screw threads dont gall.

Spray right over them. Paint does not effect their function. Pretty much by definition, platenuts are on the back, non visible side so ascetics not an issue for me. Painting requires a lot of prep work already, so I did not need to add more.

Back