What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CB-710A, Cyl #1 Baffle, OP40-8

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm fitting baffles. OP40-8 calls for the #1 baffle to fit over the prop oil line. There's a 1" hole for an AN931-6-16 grommet.
I would rather not remove a good fitting now to fit the baffle then again to install it after it's done or again to install or remove.
Question...
Has anyone cut a slot in the baffle (red arrow in photo) to slide over the oil line then install a split grommet?
I see a potential issue. The Lower Baffle Support (CB-710D) flange would get cut in half. Maybe add a couple nutplates in the CB-1002D and make it removeable? Cut the slot in the baffle so it slips over the oil line then attach the bracket with screws?
20220322_121304.jpg

Last edited:
I agonized over that too. In the end I found that the line was flexible enough with the fitting undone to get the baffle on and off without much effort or deflection. I got the grommet on the line without splitting it with some dish soap. It’s a steel line that is easy to inspect and tighten.

You're lucky -- the BAF-8 kit does NOT include the 1" hole - so you need to locate that first :(

Along the lines of what Mikey said -- the grommet will slide over the flared end and B-nut with a little soapy water (or blood, sweat, etc...) for lubrication.

A trick is to slide the grommet onto the 90° fitting to the elbow, tighten the B-nut down, then roll the grommet down on to the line and into the hole in the baffle...

Last edited:
CB-710D

Nope. I'm not cracking open a perfectly good prop oil line to install or remove the baffle.
Here's my solution. I fabricated a new CB-710D Lower Baffle Support. Two nutplates and screws in place of the support rivets. Baffle was trimmed and a slot cut to allow the baffle to fit past the oil line. The new support was fabricated just a little wider to fill the space after the tab was trimmed off the baffle. The grommet was split. Easy to remove and install the baffle. Grommet fits nice and tight.
I may fabricate an upper cover to fill the space with a third nutplate and screw. One hole was lost cutting the slot.
20220322_150349.jpg

Guys here is a bushing hack for you. Put the rubber grommet on a small long socket. Line that socket up with the next size and push it onto the slightly bigger socket. Keep repeating until you are at a socket size that facilitates getting it over the B nut. Enjoy!

Back