What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I redo it?

M5fly

Well Known Member
Somehow I messed up my numbers for stiffener lengths and cut them a little short (also somehow missed the bottom ones completely). The widest gap from trailing edge is about a half inch. Is this an acceptable tolerance? Or should order more angle and re-fabricate new ones that are much closer to the 3/16" gap called for in the plans?

Attachments

• IMG_20220227_170414450_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220227_170414450_HDR.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20220227_170423988_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220227_170423988_HDR.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 335
That looks like an elevator, it has to have torsional stiffness, and this is a good structural question for Vans engineering.

Edit - same suggestion for the rudder.

Last edited:
That looks like an elevator, it has to have torsional stiffness, and this is a good structural question for Vans engineering.

Edit - same suggestion for the rudder.
Agreed but if it were me I'd skip that and just make new ones. Sure it might mean waiting a bit for new material but this is about the least expensive redo you will have on your project, no sense starting out going out of spec on something as critical control surfaces.

Also looks like you have the angle flanges on the same side.. I believe they are supposed to nest with a 1/8 inch overlap and not crash into each other when you complete the fold!

Redo

I would also re-do, in part because the tapered ends need to be close enough to each other so that a dab of RTV can be applied to the ends, securing them against movement, which can otherwise cause cracking at the trailing edge.

Also looks like you have the angle flanges on the same side.. I believe they are supposed to nest with a 1/8 inch overlap and not crash into each other when you complete the fold!

Tom, that's the reflection making it appear as though that's the case, I haven't installed any of them and do know about them being flipped on one side.

My initial thought was to go ahead and redo them, so I'm happy to hear everyone confirm it, even with the wasted time so far. New angle is now ordered. $50 for a 24' piece, ouch! No wonder kit prices keep going up. For those following along, this is a new rudder for a flying airplane. My original goal was just to reskin the old one, but drilling it out was a bigger challenge than I thought so I decided to just build a complete new one as I had the entire kit anyway.

I was surprised to find a few interesting tidbits when I disassembled the old rudder...
1. The top of the old skin was roughly 1/2" shorter at the leading edge and 3/4" shorter at the trailing edge than the plans call for. Glad I checked or I'd be building a rudder that much taller than the vertical stab
2. Stiffener trailing edge distance and angle cuts were not to plan specs (at least not the version I have a copy of)
3. There was no RTV between stiffeners and the .016 skin had no natural cracks

I searched and searched on YouTube looking for RV-4/6 build videos to help prepare me for the project and found absolutely nothing. So, I'm filming the whole process and will post it to my channel when complete to help others who might be in the same boat of repairing a flying airplane with limited to no prior build experience.

Cole, the O320 150hp kept you from cracking the skin. RTV was not used in 1992 builds.

One more time.........

Cole, the O320 150hp kept you from cracking the skin. RTV was not used in 1992 builds.

95% of cracks are caused by improper forming of the trailing edge, not HP or skin thickness.

My -6 has been flying for over 29 years with approx. 175 hp and .016 skin and no cracks. I know of several with 180 hp, CS prop, and over 2,000 hrs with no cracks.

It is worth checking locally for materials. Some items need to come from Vans but a lot of what you are using can be obtained from local suppliers - or local builders that have spare parts. There are some really sharp guys around the Reno - Carson City area that I bet have about anything you need considering the racing crowd.

I would suggest you get involved with the local guys or EAA to find a mentor.
Good luck and have fun!

Finish the

Definitely make another and do it to plans.. so there is no question.. in the mean time finish the ones you started and learn all along the way.. why not.. consider them sacrificial learning parts .. so when your new stuff comes you will have been there done that and will probably have some good insight the second time around
Billythekid

Back