What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

STUCK... Wiring a Trig TY91 to GRT HXR

Denman

Friend
So, I have been working at this since last summer and while all the wiring is done, I find myself chasing the last gremlin.

I get the error message that the TRIG comm 1 is not communicating. I have the adapter and in the menu screen I can confirm that the adapter is communicating with the screen, but nothing is coming from the radio. I just got the radio back from Mid Continent and they confirmed it was working and talking with their control head, so no issues with the radio.

Pin 13 on the radio is grounded which ensures the radio turns on. Power is getting to the radio which is confirmed by the working adapter which is powered through the radio. All wires checked for continuity and are good. I've traced the wires back from the EFIS to the radio and back again to ensure they are all pinned correctly (this is today, and this process I have done several times now.)

I've check grounds and they are good, I've check the power and am getting 13v to the radio. I've checked to ensure I've wired the correct ends of the adapter and not got them backwards.

I am at a loss at this point. I've tried GRT and they don't know either, which is what led to sending the radio away. I've ordered a new adapter in the hopes that this may solve it.

Any other suggestions out there? Anything would help.

Dennis

*MAYBE* and answer ...

So, I have been working at this since last summer and while all the wiring is done, I find myself chasing the last gremlin.

I get the error message that the TRIG comm 1 is not communicating. I have the adapter and in the menu screen I can confirm that the adapter is communicating with the screen, but nothing is coming from the radio. I just got the radio back from Mid Continent and they confirmed it was working and talking with their control head, so no issues with the radio.

Pin 13 on the radio is grounded which ensures the radio turns on. Power is getting to the radio which is confirmed by the working adapter which is powered through the radio. All wires checked for continuity and are good. I've traced the wires back from the EFIS to the radio and back again to ensure they are all pinned correctly (this is today, and this process I have done several times now.)

I've check grounds and they are good, I've check the power and am getting 13v to the radio. I've checked to ensure I've wired the correct ends of the adapter and not got them backwards.

I am at a loss at this point. I've tried GRT and they don't know either, which is what led to sending the radio away. I've ordered a new adapter in the hopes that this may solve it.

Any other suggestions out there? Anything would help.

Dennis

I have been assisting a friend with a nice RV8 (Honoring the Tuskegee Airmen).
He had a problem for some time with his Trig/GRT combo. After a lot of assistance from GRT in trying and replacing everything, we finally discovered that there was some interference from his transponder whose wiring was in too close proximity to the Trig wiring. Data was corrupted on the lines when the transponder "transponded". Thus the EXPECTED communication between the HXr and the TRIG was not as expected.

I am not sure of the nature of your problem but contact me OFFLINE and I will get you in touch with him. He is traveling but can take a phone call.

My email is my ID here with the word "mail" added to it.

This is all through gmail. So "jc******[email protected]". If this is not clear, just respond and I will get in touch with you another way.

I am guessing the adapter is bad. I don't think it gets power from the radio; It just bridges all of the lines, from input to output and takes power and grd when it does that. Sounds like something is not right in the adapter. The Hxr talks to the chip in the adapter and that chip also talks to the trig. This is how they deal with the data format.

The GRT website shows an update for this combination last November. I assume that you have already looked into this.

Thanks for all the replies so far, they are very much appreciated.

The adapter is working (it's a new one after the previous one wasn't working) and is confirmed to be communicating to the EFIS (GRT also confirmed this.) I checked the software updates yesterday and both the EFIS and Adapter software are the latest. The transponder is located behind the cabin and the radio is under the front turtle deck of the 6. The wiring path from the radio to adapter to the EFIS is short and separated from the rest of the wiring bundles.

I do have the audio (both intercom and radio mic and sound) routed through a dynon intercom and the intercom works which is confirmed when I plug in both headsets and can talk with the passenger. I say this so as to not rule out that it may be causing an issue.......that said, the trig comm error is related to the EFIS and trig not communicating for acting as the control head for the radio and is not related to audio (at least that's my thinking.)

Back