What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing powder coat?

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Aside from sandblasting a part, is there a way to get powercoat off the steel parts Van's supplies? It doesn't seem like the usual acetone/MEK solvants would touch it, although to be honest I have not tried them.

Thanks!

Removing Powder Coating

Aside from sandblasting a part, is there a way to get powercoat off the steel parts Van's supplies? It doesn't seem like the usual acetone/MEK solvants would touch it, although to be honest I have not tried them.

Thanks!

I have a small powder coating setup at home and when I have had to redo a part for various reasons, I have always been able to remove the powder coating with a solvent based paint stripper. It may take a bit longer or require two coats but it will come off.

Check out the EAA website...

...video this week for the hints for home builders. It shows how to use a propane torch to remove powder coat.

The propane torch will work.. and fast... but smelly, sticky, and generally unpleasant at best.

Paint stripper, a thick coat, and put in a plastic bag overnight worked for me. It takes awhile to soften the powder coat.

Thanks all for the help!

I've been wrestling with the sliding canopy frame for about a week now and it's close, but have boogered up the powder coat in several places in doing so. Given the c-c-c-c-old weather here, I wasn't excited about sandblasting outside the hanger :).

-Brad

Thanks!
This is not the same tough powdercoating applied to various parts on my Ford truck. If you did try, I think you will quickly find out that the "powdercoating" applied to Van's steel parts can be easily softened and dissolved with MEK. Used with a maroon scotchbrite pad you may be surprised at how quickly MEK will attack and clean Van's powdercoated parts.

removing powdercoat

I took my pieces to a local place that does powdercoating; and had them remove it. Parts came back nice and clean with no evidence of bead or sand blasting or heat. They must have used something chemical.

Removing Powdercoating

Brad,

Sorry for the long delay in answering your question! I removed the powder coat from my nose gear leg with Permatex Gasket Remover in a spray can. NAPA sells it. Spray it on and the coating will bubble right up and can be wiped off with a rag in a minute or two. There is no residue and the part is clean as a whistle! Be sure to wear safety glasses and a long sleeve shirt.

Jim

Back