- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:29 PM

Default Flying in Rain

So flying back from Sun-N-Fun we ran into some precipitation and it got me thinking.

Can Vans Rv's be flown in the rain? At what point is it to much? I've flown in very light and mod precip but at what point is it to much? I'm thinking it may be a NO NO now that I think about it more but would like some feedback. Too many open spaces for water to creep in and wreck some things maybe? Seeing as there is an electronic ignition on the firewall I'm thinking things could go bad easy. What else should one be thinking about?

Thoughts?

Last edited by delgadojay@gmail.com : 04-16-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 PM

I've flown SuzieQ in the Rain without issues other than having to throttle back to be kinder to my wooden prop. Backing down to 2100 rpm seems to be about right.

It would be silly to have a 200 mph airplane that can cross a significant amount of territory and not be able to fly in the rain. You will encounter Rain on occasion and will likely do just fine. SuzieQ was built pretty tight and there is usually no extra water in the interior. I run "normal" mags so that isn't an issue.
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!
Old 04-16-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1 View Post
I've flown SuzieQ in the Rain without issues other than having to throttle back to be kinder to my wooden prop. Backing down to 2100 rpm seems to be about right.

It would be silly to have a 200 mph airplane that can cross a significant amount of territory and not be able to fly in the rain. You will encounter Rain on occasion and will likely do just fine. SuzieQ was built pretty tight and there is usually no extra water in the interior. I run "normal" mags so that isn't an issue.
Thanks for your reply! I have flown my RV6a all over the country and have accumulated 600+ hours this year (fuel receipts and track logs to prove it- lol). I've flown through light precip and got into some moderate to heavy today for a short period. Just sitting here wondering how smart it was. I encountered no issues and ran like a charm but just wanted some feedback.

Thanks,
Old 04-16-2021, 08:44 PM

Rain has been hard on my paint job but no problem operationally.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 AM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadojay@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for your reply! I have flown my RV6a all over the country and have accumulated 600+ hours this year (fuel receipts and track logs to prove it- lol,
minimum of 5.6 hrs a day for past 106 days..... PRETTY AMAZING 🤩
Old 04-17-2021, 06:29 AM

Default Machine gun like rain!

We’ve flown our -10 at 200 MPH in a downpour that sounded like machine gun bullets on the windshield. It did take some paint off the leading edges but never missed a beat. It can be done and we were in a pinch coming back from Key West with a system across the entire State of Florida and we ‘had’ to get back to Georgia.

Cheers,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:03 AM

In addition to the airframe, rain takes a toll on a propeller spinning at 2300+ RPM's. If you have a metal propeller then it isn't a big deal. If you have a wood or composite propeller then it can be hard on them in rain. That is why most propeller manufacturers offer a metal leading edge option for composite propellers.

FWIW I have the metal leading edge on my CATTO carbon fiber propeller and it still looks new after 7yrs of occasional light rain flying. Although I avoid rain if possible, if in rain, I slow down to lower the propeller speed.

2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 04-17-2021, 09:27 PM

Even a jet is affected by severe rain fall.... disrupting wing airflow and lift slightly. Same with an RV. I add a few knots for heavy rain.

Planes with laminar flow wings are affected to a greater degree due to rain. VariEz / LongEz had a canard airfoil that lost lift in rain and plane pitched down. The RV does not have laminar flow airfoils... Burt Rutan changed the canard airfoil to reduce the rain pitch down issue.

You point about water tight areas of critical systems, electrical is a good one. There was a case of a jet with electrical connection in the tail that would get wet and freeze causing trim issues. Early Lear jets also had issues of water freezing in elevator and causing loss of control. However in these cases it involves freezing water.

The other issue is induction, more with ice, snow, sleet, but I speculate van's standard FAB designs are fairly resistant to sucking in water. However a little water in the intake will not kill the engine. However snow, sleet, ice could impact the induction if it blocks airflow.

These are uncertified planes and not approved for flight into known ice.

2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-18-2021, 06:18 AM

What about the air induction filter? the air comes straight in and will wet the filter down. Any problems with that?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
What about the air induction filter? the air comes straight in and will wet the filter down. Any problems with that?
A drain hole is recommmended in the bottom of the fab but moist air doesn’t block combustion air.