-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Difference between Bendix and Slick RPM sensors?

I’m looking at a used JPI and it comes with the ring terminals for a pressurized slick mag. Problem is, I have non pressurized bendix mags.

What is the difference between the JPI sensors for the two brands? If they’re all Hall sensors, any reason they shouldn’t work across brands (especially the ring sensors since vent plug thread isn’t a consideration)?
Old 12-09-2020, 03:43 PM

The sensors for the G3X systems are different for the Bendix and Slick, but I think it is the vent plug threads that are different, and maybe the physical dimension for the correct proximity to the rotating magnet in the magneto. Dynon used to use the P-leads to pick off the RPM and if JPI is doing that you can use them for either.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...

Last edited by rvsxer : 12-09-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsxer View Post
The sensors for the G3X systems are different for the Bendix and Slick, but I think it is the vent plug threads that are different, and maybe the physical dimension for the correct proximity to the rotating magnet in the magneto. Dynon used to use the P-leads to pick off the RPM and if JPI is doing that you can use them for either.
The JPI sensors are normally vent plugs, or some sort of ring for pressurized mags that can be bolted on outside and aligned with the magnet as I understand the install manual. They are not P-lead sensors.

If physical dimensions are the difference as you think and not something to do with the operating principle I suppose I can give them a shot.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:56 PM

Yup. Threads are annoyingly different on Slicks vs. Bendix.
RV6