- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:22 PM

Default RV-6 Speeds

I just put an RV-6A under contract. It has the O-360 Lycoming.

Does anyone know what the speeds are?

Vx,Vy, Best glide and final approach speeds?

Iím not sure if these speeds are different for each plane (Iím new to Experimental aircraft).
Old 12-22-2020, 01:29 PM

I suggest you get some RV qualified transition training to get you beyond the basic V speeds...
Old 12-22-2020, 01:43 PM

Welcome to the dark side! Experimental aviation is the best, but please please please get some instruction by either an RV instructor or at least someone experienced with experimentals. Your question shows your inexperience, while these numbers are good to know, the more experienced pilot would talk with the previous owner and review the manual or numbers that the original builder hopefully found during his 40 hour phase 1. This is not me insulting you, and please donít take it as talking down to you, I just want you to succeed in this!

The speeds you are looking for vary from plane to plane. Constant speed props can climb at lower air speeds because they can make full RPM (and full hp potential) at the slower speeds and more efficient AOA. Fixed pitch props may be set up for cruise speed in most RVs, and need higher airspeeds to develop higher RPM. Thatís why the fixed pitch crowd typically stay in ground effect till 120 knots or more before climbing out. Also cylinder cooling may be an issue if attempting to climb out at a low Vx speed. I think youíll find climbing at 120 should be about right, and if the trees at the end of the runway start to get big, you can always pitch up to clear them.
As for glides, again, the type of propeller probably has a much bigger impact than differences in airplane construction.
Please take the time to learn about experimentals, their restrictions, limitations and differences from the certified aircraft that you have been flying with. Learn where your aircrafts ďoperating limitationsĒ are, what they say, and where you are supposed to keep them. (I see so many people who lock them away safely in their logbooks at home)

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 12-22-2020, 01:55 PM

Should be able to click on each image to get larger size, hope this helps as a starting point for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 1.50.46 PM.png
Views:	389
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6041

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 1.50.56 PM.png
Views:	257
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	6040

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 1.51.07 PM.png
Views:	190
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	6039
Sedona, AZ
Old 12-22-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnjim View Post
I just put an RV-6A under contract. It has the O-360 Lycoming.

Does anyone know what the speeds are?

Vx,Vy, Best glide and final approach speeds?

I’m not sure if these speeds are different for each plane (I’m new to Experimental aircraft).
The PoH should have this information.

Like the others said, get some transition training from an RV-knowledgeable instructor. It was a minimum requirement for my insurance company, but, in any case, I am REALLY glad I did this. I ended up doing double the minimum and still feel like I could have used some more training.

If you're used to certificated piston singles, the RV is going to feel very different. In a good way.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill.hutchison View Post
The PoH should have this information.
Experimental aircraft aren't required to have one (with the exception of ELSA), and most don't. RV's included.

Repeating what's already been said..... Transition training is highly recommended.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-22-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Welcome to the dark side! Experimental aviation is the best, but please please please get some instruction by either an RV instructor or at least someone experienced with experimentals. Your question shows your inexperience, while these numbers are good to know, the more experienced pilot would talk with the previous owner and review the manual or numbers that the original builder hopefully found during his 40 hour phase 1. This is not me insulting you, and please donít take it as talking down to you, I just want you to succeed in this!

The speeds you are looking for vary from plane to plane. Constant speed props can climb at lower air speeds because they can make full RPM (and full hp potential) at the slower speeds and more efficient AOA. Fixed pitch props may be set up for cruise speed in most RVs, and need higher airspeeds to develop higher RPM. Thatís why the fixed pitch crowd typically stay in ground effect till 120 knots or more before climbing out. Also cylinder cooling may be an issue if attempting to climb out at a low Vx speed. I think youíll find climbing at 120 should be about right, and if the trees at the end of the runway start to get big, you can always pitch up to clear them.
As for glides, again, the type of propeller probably has a much bigger impact than differences in airplane construction.
Please take the time to learn about experimentals, their restrictions, limitations and differences from the certified aircraft that you have been flying with. Learn where your aircrafts ďoperating limitationsĒ are, what they say, and where you are supposed to keep them. (I see so many people who lock them away safely in their logbooks at home)
Thanks.

Iíve been flying for over 30 years. ATP, CFII, 20,000+ hours.

There is always something new to learn when trying different aircraft. I thought some basic V speeds would be a good place to start. Iíve flown everything from a J-3 Cub to 767ís. If you fly the proper speeds, they all do OK.

I plan on getting together with an RV instructor for a few hours. Asking about relevant V speeds is NOT an indication of my lack of experience. Quite the opposite.

Itís kind of funny to ask a pretty basic question and have several guys suggest Iím inexperienced.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrv6 View Post
Should be able to click on each image to get larger size, hope this helps as a starting point for you.

Attachment 6041

Attachment 6040

Attachment 6039
Thanks for giving me the actual information instead of lecturing me on how I donít know what Iím doing!😀
Old 12-22-2020, 05:20 PM

Welcome to the RV flying fraternity.
Sorry if I set the tone of responses earlier, but not all new RV owners come with your discipline & skillset.
Hope you get many enjoyable hours out of your new RV.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrv6 View Post
I also have an RV-6A with an IO 360 and constant speed prop (hartzell) and think these numbers should get you pretty close for your airplane.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA