- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:03 PM

Default South Carolina Taxes

Can any RV-14 builders in South Carolina give me an idea of the taxes sales or property that will be levied against the aircraft and when they have to be paid. I will be purchasing the QB fuselage and wings this week and presently Van?s does not collect SC taxes.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:22 PM

Check with your accountant.

Property tax is payable one you get your airworthiness certificate and is payable to the county where it is based, not the county you live in. Also, it isn't due the year you finish.

I was in Charlotte when I built mine and at the time a couple of guys were building a $250K+ Lancair IV. They found out that NC had a cap on the sales tax for airplanes that was much cheaper than paying as they went. So, they wrote the sales tax check when they finished.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 04-21-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post

Property tax is payable one you get your airworthiness certificate and is payable to the county where it is based, not the county you live in. Also, it isn't due the year you finish.
This is different from my experience. I kept a plane in a different county for 17 years, but my property tax was based on my county of residence. As Bill says, check with your accountant or just call your county tax office to find out for sure.
Miss March 2020
Old 04-20-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
This is different from my experience. I kept a plane in a different county for 17 years, but my property tax was based on my county of residence. As Bill says, check with your accountant or just call your county tax office to find out for sure.
Same here. Doesn't make sense but that's the way it works here in SC.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 04-20-2020, 05:35 AM

What if you?re a resident of a different state? One of the contenders for an airport when I finish is Ridgeland (3J1) but I live across the river in the Savannah area. Do you get hit with double taxation?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
What if you?re a resident of a different state? One of the contenders for an airport when I finish is Ridgeland (3J1) but I live across the river in the Savannah area. Do you get hit with double taxation?
Once Jasper county finds out about your plane, they'll want you to pay. I was there for a couple years with my Cherokee 140 and never paid. I think because I didn't pay any hangar related taxes either.

I live in Bryan county, GA but pay to Liberty county, being based at KLHW. BTW, we may be building new hangars soon.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Usually, if you can show you have paid your taxes to one county, the other will drop their claim. However, it wouldn't surprise if the county with the higher tax rate wants you to pay the difference. This is where a tax professional gets involved.

When I lived in North Carolina they were taxing me at the market value for my '41 Tcraft. It wasn't until after I sold it that I found out NC has a cap on property tax for antique airplanes and it was much cheaper than what I was paying.

For those of you who live in SC, do any of you have any political connections? I would like to try and get a bill passed that limits property tax on homebuilt airplanes, boats, cars, and planes for the original builder. I find it crazy that if someone pulls together all their spare change and builds something, they an be taxed out of it. Besides, a builder is more likely to support their local businesses than someone who just writes a check.

If you are interested, please contact me.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 04-21-2020, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I was keeping my plane in SC while living in NC for a while and I just had to show proof that I was paying property taxes on it already. Now the plane is in NC in a lower tax rate county than I live in and I pay taxes where it is but have to take the receipt to the county offices where I live to show that I did pay taxes on it.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
Just goes to show why you need to talk to an accountant. Every county is slightly different.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 04-21-2020, 05:05 PM

At a minimum, make sure you save your receipts so you can justify / support the actual cost of the finished plane, vs the tax man wanting tax on what they think it is worth.