What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked spinner

Doug94

Well Known Member
I went out to the hanger today to prep my -8- for a trip this weekend and found four cracks in my aluminum spinner. No prop strike, no binding in spinner connections just cracks. Anyone have any assumptions on how this happens or had this happen? I have about 100 hours on this spinner (the original Vans fiberglass spinner is going back on). I'll be contacting Cummins tomorrow.

Two cracks began in the blade cutouts and extend into the body of the spinner about 2 inches, two other cracks are small and began from a screw hole in the base plate.

I'd past a picture but I'm non-tech savy

Have you had the prop dynamically balanced?

FWIW, it's not uncommon for certified spinners to do the same thing. Yet another reason I'm glad I can use a non-certified fiberglass spinner...

Charlie

cracked spinner

From my past experience (non RV) of 3 cracked aluminum spinners, HAVE THE PROP DYNAMICALLY BALANCED ! Just my opinion.

Gary

Hi Doug. Could you please email me a picture of the cracks in your spinner? I have a Cummins spinner as well and am curious what you see.
lschneider39 at cox.net and if you want I will add the picture to the thread on your behalf. Thanks, Larry

Here is a picture of the crack posted for Doug
34e9pg3.jpg
[/IMG]

sg2xip.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back