Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfair View Post

...Thinking about what I would have done had it been my -6 and he asked me for a ride ...I'm honestly ashamed to say I don't know. Knowing my -6 would be a big factor.
I'll answer my own question... I'd offer to drive him in my pickup!!!! hmmm, I don't know if I feel any better about myself
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Unhappy over weight paasengers

Flying an rv4 passenger weight is cridical be kind, but be firm, and stay within your CG limits and Gross weight. If you loose a friend over saying they are tooo heavy so be it. It is better then having an incident.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 PM

I wonder if this was the same type of conversation that occurred while designing the RV-14?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM

Thread drift.

This isn't a thread about whether it's OK to fly over gross. It's a thread about nice ways to say to a person they're too fat to fly.

Just to be clear.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM

As I've worked on building my RV over the last few years, I'm somewhat amused at all the little things we do to remove weight here and there. All those little lightening holes, bits of metal removed here and there at every opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I've done every one of them. (Does anyone know how much it all adds up to? My estimate is... perhaps a few pounds at most.) But it occurred to me one day that a pilot in the seat becomes part of the airplane, and the easiest way to remove a significant amount of weight from the flying aircraft is to trim it off of my own waist! My wife and I have been on a health kick the last few years, and I trimmed 25 lbs off quite easily. (I won't give out my wife's numbers.) I just had to say that building the RV has been the single motivating factor to get me in better health.

More to the point of the thread, I had to ask my daughter-in-law her weight a while back before her and my son could board a friend's 172. I did it as tactfully as I could, saying I needed both of their weights for the pilot to run the W & B numbers, but I still go the "Ummmm..." response from her. I finally told them I didn't need their individual numbers, just the combined for both of them. That might help, especially if you know the guy's weight, or you could ask him privately later.
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSwayze View Post
(I won't give out my wife's numbers.)
Your a wise man.

I have changed my User Name to the correct spelling as it became availible. Please direct all correspondence to Weasel

Last edited by Wesael : 01-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Default Painful, but I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSwayze View Post
As I've worked on building my RV over the last few years, I'm somewhat amused at all the little things we do to remove weight here and there. All those little lightening holes, bits of metal removed here and there at every opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I've done every one of them. (Does anyone know how much it all adds up to? My estimate is... perhaps a few pounds at most.) But it occurred to me one day that a pilot in the seat becomes part of the airplane, and the easiest way to remove a significant amount of weight from the flying aircraft is to trim it off of my own waist! My wife and I have been on a health kick the last few years, and I trimmed 25 lbs off quite easily. (I won't give out my wife's numbers.) I just had to say that building the RV has been the single motivating factor to get me in better health.

More to the point of the thread, I had to ask my daughter-in-law her weight a while back before her and my son could board a friend's 172. I did it as tactfully as I could, saying I needed both of their weights for the pilot to run the W & B numbers, but I still go the "Ummmm..." response from her. I finally told them I didn't need their individual numbers, just the combined for both of them. That might help, especially if you know the guy's weight, or you could ask him privately later.
My wife has been making the point to me that if I am spending all of this time and money to build a plane, I need to maintain a healthy weight so that I can have a long and healthy flying career. Sigh, off to the gym I go....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM

Default Somewhat recently ....

...i had a similar quandary. I told my VERY hefty friend (maybe under 300, but certainly not by much) that the difficulty would be in his exiting the right seat. I explained he would have to be able - using his arms - to press himself up out of the seat using the right cabin rail (NOT the armrest!) and the seat back. I told him I was concerned that he'd not be able to do that. He agreed and demured on the ride idea. Our friendship - and my RV - are safe for now.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM

Bob,

As someone who's struggled with weight since college, not severely, but *enough* to feel crappy about it, I would feel disappointed in myself if someone told me I was too fat to fly with them. I mean, you can't argue with something like this. You're not making fun of him-- it's just a simple fact. Plane is too small, or he's too big. If I were in your brother's position, I would want the conversation to be something like, "It will mean a LOT to me to take you flying in this airplane that I built with your encouragement. But it's just not safe for us to go up in it because I can't move the controls all the way, (or we'll have CG issues,) you won't be comfortable, and I'd hate for you to get hurt climbing in or getting out of it." Yeah, it might really sting at first. But it would also save you both from a potentially unsafe situation in the short term, and maybe even motivate your brother to get healthy. It would be an awesome goal. By the way... Even though that joke a few posts ago about the jet manufacturer was funny, I can't type what I'd say on this family site if a pilot simply told me "NO FAT CHICKS!"
Rebuilt most of SNF tornado victim RV-3B Tony Boy II (had to sell him, but he's flying!)
RV-9 93281 tail kit has arrived... here I go again!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Default not just weight and cg

I really want to take my Dad up, he's been up in all my other airplanes. I'd love to go to OSH with him but....his thighs will prevent stick motion.