Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Have you checked the wheel nut on each side to see if the tires rotate too freely, this could cause shimmy on landing and I have witnessed tires rotating at high speeds in flight which may even cause airframe vibration.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Default Get some help

Get someone (if you already haven't done so) who is a long time RV pilot to fly with you. Why extend this agony any longer?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
Get someone (if you already haven't done so) who is a long time RV pilot to fly with you. Why extend this agony any longer?
I extended it this long because I was still in phase 1 and cannot take passengers. I just finished the 40 hours on Saturday and its been raining ever since. Figures.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Stewart View Post
Have you checked the wheel nut on each side to see if the tires rotate too freely, this could cause shimmy on landing and I have witnessed tires rotating at high speeds in flight which may even cause airframe vibration.
Tire changed solved the wheel shimmy problem, I think the old ones were just permanently flat spotted from sitting for so long. Thanks though.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I think you have a lead to follow here Matt. Do you have turn-down tips on yor exhaust pipes? If not, get a set (Vetterman has them) and see if it makes a difference.
I do not have turn down tips, maybe I will give that a try. This area will be my next shot at finding a solution.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyenforfun View Post
I do not have turn down tips, maybe I will give that a try. This area will be my next shot at finding a solution.
The tunnel skin seems to collect a lot of acoustical energy even with the turned down tips, so it's probably even worse with straight tips. Many builders reinforce the tunnel skin with internal or external stiffeners, and they still tend to vibrate enough to crack even on relatively low-hour airframes.

So I'm with Paul on this one. Either get the turned-down tips or prototype some scheme to deflect the exhaust away from the tunnel skin.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post
The tunnel skin seems to collect a lot of acoustical energy even with the turned down tips, so it's probably even worse with straight tips. Many builders reinforce the tunnel skin with internal or external stiffeners, and they still tend to vibrate enough to crack even on relatively low-hour airframes.

So I'm with Paul on this one. Either get the turned-down tips or prototype some scheme to deflect the exhaust away from the tunnel skin.

Thanks, Bob K.
Anyone know where I can buy the correct turn down tips? Cant seem to find anywhere to buy on vettermans website
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyenforfun View Post
Anyone know where I can buy the correct turn down tips? Cant seem to find anywhere to buy on vettermans website
Just call him on the "teleophone"....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Default Worth a try?

My grumman tiger with a 360 engine produces a vibration that I can feel through the airfram if the engine is not leaned properly. If it is rich the plane will feel like it is pulsing a little. When it is leaned too much, then it stumbles slightly and you can feel that through the airframe as well.

I don't have any fancy engine monitoring equipment, but you might just play with the leaning and see if it has an impact. I can tell blindfolded if the engine is leaned correctly.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Cowl baffles

I had similar vibration issues on my RV9A, they began always when building up airspeed greater than 95 kt. When I put back the upper cowl after maintenance, the left baffle crushed backwards instead of forward. Building up speed, this peace of rubber drummed against the cowl like a flag in the wind. Just stick your hand into the oil check door, or look inside with the help of a flashlight and see if the baffles are bent forward.

Last edited by bignose : 09-07-2012 at 06:26 AM.