What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Painting

Doug94

Well Known Member
I will begin painting my wings next weekend and am wondering how those of you have done this have rotated the wings? Working with my painter we want to paint the top and bottom in a horizontal orientation. This will require "flipping" the wings during the painting process. I was thinking about using a couple of saw horses and some long pvc through the rib lightening holes, but you got the fuel tanks to contend with. What type of creative process have some of you done to flip the wings?

Thanks for your thoughts....

That's work. 2 pieces of PVC on the outboard end and 1 piece on the inboard end with the spar as the other contact point.

RV-7build698.jpg

RV-7build699.jpg

worked good for painting the stripes also
RV-7build688.jpg

To flip, one guy on each end and just roll it over leaving the spar and big PVC on the horse.

Last edited:
Doug,
I used a piece of 1-1/2 galv. pipe inside another 2" PVC pipe. Both pipes go all the way through the wing.
The PVC pipe was just to keep the inside of the ribs from being scratched up.
I cut a board (leg) the right height that would bolt to the rear spar and hold it level.

I painted the top of the wing first then rolled over to paint the bottom, all in one session. That way any dust that settled would be on the bottom of the wing!

The stack of boards in the photo are all nailed so it's solid.
Don't ask me what the drill bits are doing stuck in the board....I have no idea:confused:

I was flying 24 days after photo was taken!

Mark

DSCN6026.jpg

Last edited:
Wing Painting Stand

First I did this:

25red51.jpg

Then I did this (Large Plastic Pipe):

34yad8i.jpg

And this:

sav86r.jpg

And I got this:

20cix.jpg

And this:

2n67wpv.jpg

I built a Van's wing holder assembly. It was complicated and time consuming but in the end it was worth it.:D

Painting an RV10 Wing

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...r&project=224&category=5986&log=113109&row=15

I used PVC pipe in one end and fabbed a wooden thing to hold the spar. Using a loop of rope hanging from the ceiling, I was able to flip sides during the shoot single handed.

I found shooting the wing horizontal preferable for this rookie painter because it was harder to get runs and easier to really lay it on if desired.

Bill "use your respirator with PolyU" Watson

wing painting

My painter used 2X4's and saw horses. The cool thing is he painted the top of the wing laying on his back on a creeper, and then painted the bottom. The reason is little things that fall on the surface will be on the bottom of the wing. Came out great! Hope this helps.

Back