What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Made New Tip-Up Rear Metal Canopy Fairing and then Powder Coated it!

KentuckyMike

Well Known Member
Due to the fiberglass canopy fairing at the tip up joint on my RV6 departing during flight I needed to make a new one. Luckily an airport neighbor returned what was left of the original one and I sort of used it as a pattern. I didn't really look forward to laying one up with fiberglass so I thought I would try to make one from some extra .020 aluminum I had. Kevin my RV8 builder friend assisted with design, hole alignment and dimpling.

We decided it would be easier to handle if it were made in two pieces and overlapped them at the center top. I have always been fond of powder coating and find it simple to apply and more durable than paint. The biggest issue is having a big enough oven to bake the coated part. I recently received a new catalog from Eastwood Company which contained a yellow powder that looked like it matched my plane color almost exactly so I thought I would try it. I decided if I didn’t like it I could strip it and base coat/clear coat it later.

Below are a few pictures as the project developed. I used every third screw of the existing canopy mount to secure the fairing. I believe I will remove both sides and add a small bead of sealer just to prevent water getting under the leading edge.

Photo 1 Initial Layup
IMG_0962Small.jpg

Photo 2 Close Up - shows rolled leading edge
IMG_0963Small.jpg

Photo 3 Scuffed and ready for powder coating
IMG_0964Small.jpg

Photo 4 Powder applied but not baked on
IMG_0972Small.jpg

Photo 5 Left side coated, baked and cooling in oven
IMG_0969Small.jpg

Photo 6 Stainless screws coated and baked
IMG_0970Small.jpg

Photo 7 Left side installed
IMG_0966Small.jpg

Photo 8 Right side installed
IMG_0967Small.jpg

Photo 9 Added a lift handle
liftSmall.jpg

Last edited:
I have recently thought of doing the same with a strip of aluminum. I have some difficulty in raising the "standard" tip-up from just one side, so as I just start to lift up on the side skirt attached lift handle, I then move a free hand to the top center section of the plexi and continue to open the canopy.

Will you have any issues with bending the aluminum fairing if lifted in this manner?

Tip up finger hold

I had and have the same trouble. I made a small streamlined finger hold. I will install it tomorrow and post a picture of it. Im sure it will cost me at least 1/2 knott sticking up in the air flow. : o )

Lift Handle

Noel,

Below is a picture of the lift handle I made. I may try to make a smaller one but this one does work well and stabilizes the canopy when opening due to lifting it in the center as you described. I used one of the existing holes to mount it but I did increase it from a #6 screw to a#8.

liftSmall.jpg

"Tip" for opening tip up

For those who find the tip up canopy is difficult to open, try to push toward the centre line of the canopy when opening. When I first went to look at my RV6, I had difficulty opening the canopy. Once the owner advised me to push toward the centre line when opening, the binding disappeared. Once that was solved, I bought the plane.

Al

Has it reduced airstream "noise"

I have been thinking about a targa strip as well - primarily in an attempt to decrease the wind noise i get at the gap between the front and rear canopy on my tip-up. Has this addition helped in this regard?

Targa strip

Mark,

I have never really noticed any excessive noise from that area but I have always had a stript there. My fiberglass one came loose recently on takeoff at about 50 feet. I decided to try one from aluminum and it has worked out quiet well.

Back