What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Greg Koontz Fly-in Oct 15th

Phillik 747

Greg Koontz is having a fly-in at his personal ranch in Ashville, AL (AL60) on October 15th.

Go here for more info: http://www.gkairshows.com/

msp_gk-ash_10_803-1000.jpg

If the weather is good, we might make it.

Bruce, do you think that -9 of yours can fly that far?

Hey Bill, hit Jeff's place in Taylorsville for Brunswick stew. It's only 60 miles from there to Greg's strip.

That sounds good. If I make it, I'll have my three year-old son with me.

Things are up in the air for us for next weekend.

Wish I could go but I'm stuck about 9000 miles away.

I went down about a year ago and did my tailwheel endorsement and a basic acro course with Greg. Great instructor and a beautiful place he has down there.

Kentucky boys are going!

Four planes from north central Ky will be there. A RV6, a Luscombe, a Citabria and a Cherokee 140. Greg has a beautiful place and we have a ball there each year!

Four planes from north central Ky will be there. A RV6, a Luscombe, a Citabria and a Cherokee 140. Greg has a beautiful place and we have a ball there each year!

My RV4 would have made the 5th plane but I unfortunately won't be back in time. Enjoy the trip and take pictures. Say hi to Greg for me.

Now here's something you don't see at Oshkosh....

293kdqw.jpg

That's a Kitfox. No, he wasn't trying to duplicate Greg's promotional photo (first post, above). Poor guy had some sort of unknown directional issue and ran off the runway....oops!

Being north Alabama, a muddy 4WD truck with a winch was only moments away.

At least it wasn't one of the many RVs.

Last edited:
That?s unfortunate! Other than getting wet and bruising his ego, I hope he didn?t suffer any injuries.

We wound up going to the Boshearis Fly-in down in Augusta because it was a shorter flight and I had my three year-old son with us.

He was OK

Dan,

It was great to finally meet up with you at Greg's.

I spoke with the Kitfox pilot later in the day and he said the plane in front of him on the runway stopped quickly. He applied both brakes and the left one worked better than the right one and veered him off to the left into he water. He said the other choice was to attack the other plane from behind which he chose not to do. 95 planes were counted to be in attendance!

Back