What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Servo Drag

Catbird

Well Known Member
I'm installing the Dynon (Skyview Ready) autopilot servos this weekend as part of the Finishing Kit and have a question for those of you who are flying the autopilot.

The servo output stub shaft rotates with some resistance. When bolted up, will this resistance be introduced into the flight controls? I can imagine several of answers to this question:

1) When the servo is energized, but not activated, the resistance goes away.
2) The resistance is introduced into the flight controls, but is not perceptible.
3) The resistance is introduced into the flight controls and is perceptible, but is the price you pay for an autopilot.
4) Something else I have thought of yet.

You may have a no. 3. I have been in a number of RV's and have had the servo be a drag on the stick on one or two.
Roy
:rolleyes:

All well rigged RV's have super slick smooth and easy to move flight controls on the ground. The Dynon servos are stepper motors with no clutch (as are many other AP makers) and do introduce a small amount of fine notchy drag to the system (as does many other AP makers). This will be totally un-noticable in any RV with good rigging in flight with the servo disengaged.

If you can tell the difference in flight of a well rigged RV of any type with and without a properly sized and installed Dynon servo without knowing in advance if it is there or not, I will buy you a burger someday!

The servo resistance is noticeable on preflight as you check elevator and aileron throw. However, you'll never feel the resistance when you're flying!

The servo resistance is noticeable on preflight as you check elevator and aileron throw. However, you'll never feel the resistance when you're flying!

That is my experience... I currently fly two Remos'...exactly that same planes, except one is with a Dynon A/P and one without. It is an obvious difference on the ground during preflight (you can feel the dull stepper clicks). But in the air, they both feel the same IMO.

Probably different feel in an RV, of course...but that experience made me much less worried about that decision. :)

If you can tell the difference in flight of a well rigged RV of any type with and without a properly sized and installed Dynon servo without knowing in advance if it is there or not, I will buy you a burger someday!

Phrase your bets carefully Brian....if a fellow flew the tests and compared carefully, there should be a difference in stick-free dynamic stability, yes?

Not sayin' it matters in a practical sense, but it might win a hamburger....

Servo drag

I agree with Dan ( who wouldn't :eek:). I installed the dynon autopilot in my RV6 and as many have stated very noticeable difference on the ground. When flying it is not significant but the controls are not as light as before but I don't pay it any attention any more. BTW the autopilot is great and I have it interfaced with my AV8OR.

Sure, doubt it would be very measurable though.
I'll buy you a burger anytime Dan. You earn it around here!

Phrase your bets carefully Brian....if a fellow flew the tests and compared carefully, there should be a difference in stick-free dynamic stability, yes?

Not sayin' it matters in a practical sense, but it might win a hamburger....

Back