What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is the FAA LODA for Transition Training Hard to Get?

KentuckyMike

Well Known Member
The long-awaited guidance for LODA or Letter of Deviation Authority has finally been published by the FAA. September 7, 2010.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=1192EAA1993774FD8625779E007050C2

And per the EAA,

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-09-16_lodas.asp

As part of a new push by the FAA to encourage transition training for experimental aircraft, the new guidance facilitates this aim by permitting flight training for compensation through the LODA process.

It looks like a bunch of paper work including a detailed training syllabus must be submitted. Has anyone tried to obtain a LODA via the newly published procedure?

Hi Mike

It's not really much different than before. I have a syllabus that can be adapted to any RV and if you need it, PM me.

I'm going through the procedure this week for my -10, since my LODA for the -6A was/is not transferrable.

Best,

So one thing that appears to be left out here unless I'm missing something...

Can you give flight instruction (for free) in an experimental for a rating or endorsement? It says you can't give it for a rating or endorsement for hire, but say I want to give someone a tailwheel endorsement in their RV for free?

Love how these regs are so gray sometimes...

It's YOUR plane that requires a LODA

Paul:
Lots of discussion on this topic in prior posts -
You can give instruction in someone else's A/C for free.
You can charge for instructional time in someone else's A/C (or yours).
What you can't do is use your experimental (or any else's for that matter) and charge for the rental of the aircraft. That makes the plane a commercial endeavor, which in turn requires a LODA.
Also previously discussed-don't try inflating your instructional "fee" to cover gas, etc. According to the FAA, this would be a transparent attempt to circumvent the regs. BTW, if you do get a LODA, you'll need to go to 100 hour inspection cycles and will likely see a significant bump in your insurance.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Back