Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6JOY View Post
I am surprised Van?s have never included this in thereinstructions.
Sloshing the rivets in solvent, and drying prior to setting in the tank was in the manual I got from Vans, and it's dated 2011.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:53 AM

Default Excellent method for penetration . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZ View Post
I had 1 weeping rivet on my tanks. I took a small plastic syringe, cut off the tip about 1/8 inch long and put some new pro seal in it. I cut a 1/4 inch piece of 3/8 fuel line (vinyl). Place the fuel line over the cleaned weeping rivet and place the syringe over that. Squeeze the down on the syringe plunger as hard as you can. The fuel line will bulge out and you can squeeze pro seal in. Carefully wipe clean and do the next one. Simple and no tank removal needed. I was lucky to do mine to an unpainted fuel tank.
No further leaks
You can pick your sealant, but this is the best (technically) method to ensure the sealant penetrates any gap around a rivet, the pressure is at least 200X what can be developed with any in-tank vacuum.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:30 PM

Timely thread, good info, as the drain flange on my left tank is leaking. I hoped I had taken care of it by using the syringe method on the exterior, and recoating the shop heads on the interior, since a build error left gave me an extra fuel cap on the inboard edge of the tank to give me access. But, it failed the leak test this morning. So I guess a full R&R of the flange is next. I am not sure there is room and geometry to get a bucking bar in through the extra fuel cap. Does anyone know of a countersunk closed-end blind rivet to replace the AN426AD3-4's used for the flange?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 AM

Default More information requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZ View Post
I had 1 weeping rivet on my tanks. I purchased the kit with the tanks 1/2 done so I don?t know if it was my rivet or the last owners rivet that leaked. In any case I took a small plastic syringe, cut off the tip about 1/8 inch long and put some new pro seal in it. I cut a 1/4 inch piece of 3/8 fuel line (vinyl). Place the fuel line over the cleaned weeping rivet and place the syringe over that. Squeeze the down on the syringe plunger as hard as you can. The fuel line will bulge out and you can squeeze pro seal in. Carefully wipe clean and do the next one. Simple and no tank removal needed. I was lucky to do mine to an unpainted fuel tank.
No further leaks
This is good information. I too have several rivets weeping on the underside of the left tank. I?m considering this procedure but I?m a little hesitant as I?m not the builder and have never used pro seal.

Do you have a picture of the syringe and fuel line applicator? Do I need to mix the pro seal, or does it come in a package ready to use?How long after squeezing the plunger do you wait to wipe the excess around the rivet? Does the tank need to be empty? How long should you wait before filling the tank? Can you use this method on a painted aircraft? If so, what are things to watch for and to be aware of?

I appreciate any information.
Thanks,
Pat Moran
(619) 994-3542
Old 05-31-2020, 03:25 PM

I had a 601P Aerostar years ago. Those that have owned one well know of the propensity to get fuel leaks. I was told to use a Click Patch to solve the problem. Used to carry some on board with me. was told that is what the airlines use. Used them more than once and they worked.