What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual watch/monitor second freq: AFS 5000 series

mikerkba

Well Known Member
I can't figure out how to monitor the second frequency tuned on my Avidyne 540 9which is #1 com radio). It is managed by the remote PS Engineering PDA 360EX, and controlled on the face of the AFS 5000 series EFIS.

For "dual watch" monitoring on the #2 com radio (a Dynon), I push a knob on the Dynon itself to monitor the standby freq., and there is an indication on the face of the Dynon. Best as I can tell, the same feature on the IFD is activated on the audio panel (like in the old days of electro-mechanical audio panels), not on the IFD. But I don't see how to do it.

The Avidyne manual says "Monitor Standby Com: If connected to an audio panel (e.g. Avidyne AMX240) that can support this function, the IFD will send the first standby frequency to the audio panel for audio monitoring. This permits the pilot to monitor a 2nd com channel (e.g. ATIS) while still connected to the active com channel."

Not sure if the PS Engineering PDA 360EX remote audio panel I have installed has this function. Am I overlooking something? I appreciate any input.

Hey Mike- I don't know the answer, but if no one answers by tomorrow call up Rob at AFS. He is awesome and can probably answer it in two minutes. He has the 550 in his 10 I believe and had a 540 previously .

Thanks Dan. I agree. I thought it was a pretty basic question that others might know, I wanted to ask here before bothering Rob. No doubt, Rob is always promptly available (by work or cell) and the go-to expert on the AFS operation.

Last edited:
The Avidyne IFD units have a separate pin for the standby monitor. If you want to monitor the standby you need to connect it to a spare audio input on the audio panel. There are a few ways to do this:

1. If you only have a single radio connect it to the COM2 audio panel input.
2. If you don't have NAV2 connect it to the NAV2 audio input.
3. Connect to an unswitched audio input and use the Standby VOL adjust on the IFD to turn it up and down.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Back