- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Pics of the hole after drilling to stop crack

After practicing on a piece of acrylic, I finally had to the courage to drill into the windshield to stop drill the crack. I used the 1/8" acrylic bit and I drilled very slowly. It appeared to have gone well and I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I attempt to use Weld-On #3. In addition, I'm planning on using silicone to plug the hole.

I've never used this before and I'm wondering what temperature I need the hangar to be prior to attempting repair with Weld-On #3. Any suggestions?
Any suggestions or warning about using silicone to plug the drilled out hole? I read one post that the person preferred to use super glue; any thoughts on super glue compared to silicone?

Until the temperatures warm up in Southwestern Wisconsin, I was planning on using tape over the crack and 1/8" hole. Is this an acceptable interim fix? Any concerns that I need to be aware of?

As always, any comments are welcome.
Thanks,
Pat Moran

Old 04-09-2018, 09:28 AM

Nice work on the drill job Pat. Stick a little clear tape on there for now and go fly. Once the temp picks up to the level of sticky in your area you have what you need to apply the goo. Go grab some air!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Default some light reading

surely you've seen this;

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Acry...ndow_Hints.pdf

another note; the curing agents in silicone, and there may be quite a wide variety among brands, but I would never allow this to come in contact with the raw edge ( like a crack or drilled hole) in my $1000 canopy. The acrylic may tolerate it, but why risk it?
it will DEFINITELY attack polycarbonate, and craze and crack it eventually.
A speck of Weld-On #16 ( thickened 'glue') will fill and bond to the acrylic, unlike silicone......
Old 04-09-2018, 03:03 PM

@Pmoran In my previous live I used to specify holes in bits of Perspex and such like to be dragged through the air at over twice the speed of sound. I have very little experience of light aircraft. But that hole looks to have quite a rough finish including some small cracks. If that was my canopy I would be trying very hard to get rid of any roughness and any visible imperfections.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 AM

Default Crack club! -:(

I'm devistated, I've joined the cracked canopy club!!., had my bird 3 months, found a 1&1/2" crack going vertical from the skirt towards the rear of the canopy about opposite where the rear seat luggage access is, it feels like a death in the family, am very upset
No idea how it got there but I'll have to stop drill it if I can find a plexiglass/Lexan drill bit....sob sob sob
Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Sorry to hear about the Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
I'm devistated, I've joined the cracked canopy club!!., had my bird 3 months, found a 1&1/2" crack going vertical from the skirt towards the rear of the canopy about opposite where the rear seat luggage access is, it feels like a death in the family, am very upset
No idea how it got there but I'll have to stop drill it if I can find a plexiglass/Lexan drill bit....sob sob sob
I completely understand how you feel. It's been a little while since I discovered my cracked windshield, but since I've stopped drilled the crack it has been no issue. I took advice from a previous post and placed clear book tape over the hole and crack. I intend to use Weld On #3 to fill the crack, and Weld On #16 for the hole, but until then, I am flying.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Pmoran : 05-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 PM

when I installed my canopy, I started every hole in the canopy with a standard #40 drill bit and had no issues. Go slow and let the heat build up at the tip of the bit.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:34 PM

Like many of the previous posters, I experienced a 2 inch crack in my canopy back in April of 2013 and about 450hrs ago. My repair is a bit different so I am passing it along as another option. I drilled out the crack with a 3/16 inch Plexiglas bit. I then cut and measured a piece of 3/16 clear plastic rod and cut it to fit the thickness and shape of the curved canopy. I then used #3 Weldon like many have suggested. Finally finished the repair by using a Plexiglas scratch repair kit to sand smooth the outside and inside exposed portion of the plastic rod. Maybe a bit more work then some of the other techniques, but it has proven strong and sound over the years. (plastic tube and Weldon purchased form the same company after searching the internet for Weldon #3 suppliers in my area) PS temp in April was in upper 60's.

Steve Koziol
RV9A Approaching the 800hour mark.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:38 AM

Well stop drilled the crack today out in the sun so the canopy was warm. Got a drill bit that I blunted off in concrete and with the aid of a magnifying glass drill a 2mm hole right at the end of the crack. Looked great, debured the hole either side gently with a larger twist drill by hand only, jobs done..........well so I thought! Cleaned my tools came back to check it after a few mins and I noticed a very small (about 1-2mm long) crack starting upward again from the top of the whole!! Not my day🙁🙁 I'll leave it for now to see if the crack travels any further🙁
Old 09-10-2019, 05:52 AM

I just joined the Lexan Canopy Crack Club (LCCC)...having t-shirt made. Good thread!

Talked to mothership and discussed technique and options ($$$). Will attempt fix first.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 09-10-2019 at 05:55 AM.