What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Team AeroDynamix show in Acapulco

docsuresh

Heard this morning that Team RV was putting on an airshow in Acapulco next week. I can think of worse places to be in than Acapulco, in November. :)

Good luck. Please post pictures and video/s.

Suresh

Yes we are in Mexico this week. Who wants a little beach time on the southern shores of Mexico?

It depends :)

Mike;

How many flight hrs from NC to Acapulco?

John Morgan

I plan 150kts
Direct from Charlotte is approximately 8:45
Charlotte direct Brownsville TX direct Acapulco is approx 9:00
Remaining over land KCHA- KCRP- KBRO- MMAA approx 9:30

Brownsville TX direct Acapulco approx 3:45

With **MY** current setup, (high fuel burn rate that needs to be addressed) that would have put me on fumes to glide into MMAA so a "no go" for me.

With recently completed aux fuel, I would have had at least another hour of fuel in reserve.

"CB" Team AeroDynamix
Cheering the team on from stateside

Brownsville TX direct Acapulco approx 3:45

With **MY** current setup, (high fuel burn rate that needs to be addressed) that would have put me on fumes to glide into MMAA so a "no go" for me.

Are there no fuel stops in between?

Sure ... but

Are there no fuel stops in between?

One might prefer to stop only at the final destination and clear customs there.
Especially given that there is an EXPECTATION of the arrival of the planes for a performance that is highly promoted.

At another place there could be unforeseen "delays". Non-stop insures that the whole team gets there on schedule.

If it had been a bit farther, a stop probably would have had to have been planned in. As it stood, there was no range issue for the non-stop except on MY plane. Thus, I "stood down".

The other issue is the need to climb to 10-12K or so in the mountainous area. More fuel burn.

We work on being as SAFE as we can in all that we do so we have to consider all aspects.

"CB" ... Team AeroDynamix

Time down south

It took Kari and me 6:10 from Dahlonega to Brownsville and 3:45 from BRO to MMAA. I have no AUX tanks in my 8 and landed here with 13.9 gallons on board, which at my burn of 7.0 gph was just about 2 more hours or 315 NM.

Beautiful ride east of Mexico City by the volcanoes.

Enjoying south of the border hospitality.

Absolutely

Easy flying, ATC was great, we filed IFR but told them we would proceed VFR at times and all they wanted were position reports at various DME's. kind of like flying I the states way back when. Wonderful place and very friendly folks.
The country side is beautiful east of MEX, spectacular views of Mt. Popo just steaming away.

My two cents

What a great trip! Don't know about the rest of the country but Acapulco is a wonderful place to visit. The views are spectacular, the local people are friendly and warmly welcomed us. We were well prepared for the trip with the proper Customs and Border Protection decals and eAPIS clearances filed. Found that we didn't need the 12-inch N-numbers for the trip down but they are supposedly required for re-entry to the USA. The Brownsville tower controller jokingly mentioned that he needed his binoculars to read the N-numbers of the few team aircraft that did not bother to post 12-inch numbers. We did neglect to call flight service on the way into Brownsville to get a transponder code before crossing the ADIZ and were reminded by ATC to do that. ATC on both sides of the border were very accomodating. Customs inspections were cursory and we were all on our way without delay. (OK, Greese decided he needed to show off his souvenirs to the cute CBP agent, so he took a little longer.)

It's good to be back but already looking forward to the next international air show. That's it for Team RV in 2012. A very successful year. We will take a couple of months off to regroup and recharge and will start 2013 in January at Sebring with our new name and new look. Hope to see many of the VAF crowd at a show next year.

Ron and the guys....great to hear you're all safely home,

Congrats on now being an International show team!

Best,

Back