What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip and route advice - DFW to PHX

Jeff A

Well Known Member
My wife has a work conference in Phoenix in mid October, and we're planning our first multi-leg trip from Meacham (FTW) to Phoenix (haven't decided which airport to fly into). I'm looking for any advice on routes to take, routes to avoid, good fuel stops, bad fuel stops, do's and don'ts, etc. Any advice is appreciated.

There are a number of MOAs and Restricted spaces along your route so depending on activity you are going to have to navigate around a lot.

I have always wanted to stop by KTCS (Truth or Consequences) on your route. At this time it tops my list of airports with great names. If you stop there, please post pictures.

KDHT (a bit north for you) is a great stop over for all caravans crossing the desert. Good gas prices , hotel and food availability.
KLVS (Las Vegas Muni) is one of my favorite little airports with nothing but good gas prices and the middle of nowhere feeling. There?s something wonderful about sitting outside at KLVS listening to the wind and being able to look out for a hundred miles. Think Louis L'amor country.
KSJN (St Johns Industrial) might be too close to PHX that you may not want to stop there. Its another regular stopover on the ?southern? route. Two runways, good gas prices, courtesy car (interesting specimen) and a lady with an Austrian-German accent at the desk.

Safe flying.
Suresh

If you want to stay closer to civilization (*), use the Newman VOR at El Paso and Tucson as way points. It's about 6% longer than direct but avoids the White Sands restricted areas and big mountains.

(*) except for East TX, no route across there is close to civilization...:)

I flew that leg last weekend (52F to P19) Friday night late, hoping the restricted area wasn't active. I stopped at Carrizozo (F37) around midnight. Nothing there but $5.25 100LL. Restricted area was still active for a few more hours, so I had to fly north 40nm to go around (Apparently that restricted area isn't usually active on weekends, so you could get through on a Sat or Sun). Also, it took a while to be able to get ahold of ABQ center to get flight following because of mountains, even at 12,5. When crossing the Rockies they often times lose me for a long time on the radio and/or radar. I flew the south side of the restricted area over El Paso later that weekend to San Antonio. There were no cheap fuel stops in that area and I ended up making it direct, so can't comment on fuel stops to the south.

If you can make it to KSJN you can get some cheap gas. If you want to stop sooner, KPRZ looks to be on a good route to the north of the restricted, with $5.40 LL, and you could probably only make that one stop, then make it direct to Phoenix. I fly into P19 in phoenix because of convenience to my destination, but it is a secure area for $5 a day and I would recommend it. It is a gorgeous airpark. Plenty of tiedowns and you can sometimes find hangar space for short durations.

Don't know about fuel enroute, but if you get fuel around the valley, Casa Grande and Chandler have some of the best prices. Scottsdale is usually the worst.

If you want to stay closer to civilization (*), use the Newman VOR at El Paso and Tucson as way points. It's about 6% longer than direct but avoids the White Sands restricted areas and big mountains.

(*) except for East TX, no route across there is close to civilization...:)

Since this will be my first long cross country in the RV, staying close to civilization might be a really good idea. :)

Any fuel stop recommendations for the southern route?

Hi Jeff, I fly out of KDVT, it's a nice place but most all of the airports here are good. It just depends on where in Phoenix you will be conducting bussiness. If you choose KDVT the fuel self serve is on the north ramp and if you want more info let me know. It usually takes me about 5 hours for that trip and have stopped in the ABQ area for fuel. Belen? Larry

Since this will be my first long cross country in the RV, staying close to civilization might be a really good idea. :)

Any fuel stop recommendations for the southern route?

Not sure of the range you want, but Horizon or Donna Ana on either side of El Paso are good.

Deming is also good, quick and a bit cheaper. None in the middle of the route are really cheap though.

East TX is empty...

Southern Route

Hi Jeff,

I like the Southern route. I stopped at Andrews, E11 for fuel. From there, El Paso and work your way in. There is some airways you can follow to avoid MOA's.

You didn't say where you were going in Phx. It is a big place.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

480-204-0662

Thanks for all good suggestions. I'll have to get on Foreflight and try a few different plans.

You didn't say where you were going in Phx. It is a big place.

That's because it's all still up in the air. My wife's conference is just south of the Phoenix Mountians. She wants to visit a friend in Wickenburg, and I have a friend in Mesa I want to catch up with....I'm thinking Deer Valley might be the best option for our stay.

100LL in KDMN/Deming, NM

I passed through Deming, NM for fuel for the 1st time about a week ago. Not a gas pump in sight but there were a few gas trucks parked off to the side near the FBO. FBO/Unicom wasn't answering so I shutdown and I walked around a bit until I found a guy in one of the hangers. I asked him how I would go about getting some 100LL and he said he'd be right with me. A couple minutes later there was a gas truck filing me up and we finished the business in the FBO. Kind of an odd operation and I'm glad I wasn't passing through any later. There was an after hours ph# to call to get somebody out there for a nominal fee of $20 if I recall.

Good to know. I thought of Deming as a possibility along the route. As I have no idea how long my lovely copilot will tolerate the backseat, I'm making sure I have plenty of pit stop options. I plan to follow the route with the most civilization as Gil suggested. :D

I fly that route a lot to visit family in Texas. I usually make one stop at Andrews Texas ( E11 ) unless I am concerned about fuel on the return due to winds. I'll stop in Deming or Lordsburgh if necessary. From east Texas the route I use is Direct E11 - EWM - SSO - then direct to my destination which is a bit south of phoenix.

Fuel at the above 3 locations has always proven to be the cheapest around whenever I have taken the time to check.

I hope this helps.

A Good Stop

Throw Fort Stockton, TX into the mix, KFST. David Hardwick is the airport manager and a great guy. They are very RVator friendly!!! Flying from George West (8T6), I like to make pit stop there then to Deming.

Probably not as good a route starting out from DFW area. I've run into several Hustonian RVators there while on their way to Tuscon.

Cheers,

Throw Fort Stockton, TX into the mix, KFST. David Hardwick is the airport manager and a great guy. They are very RVator friendly!!! Flying from George West (8T6), I like to make pit stop there then to Deming.

Probably not as good a route starting out from DFW area. I've run into several Hustonian RVators there while on their way to Tuscon.

Cheers,

They usually have a crew car available and lots of hotels near the freeway.

If you want steak though, make sure you go to K-Bobs and not The Steak House....:)

It's more on an El Paso to Houston line, rather than an El Paso to Dallas line though.

Not Deer Valley

DVT is waaaaay to far North for where you activities are based due to extensive traffic considerations. I'd recommend Chandler or Stellar. You are close to your wife's activities and you are not far from Mesa.

Wickenburg is about 25 minutes from Stellar/Chandler going West on the South side of the Phoenix South mountains, through KGYR airspace then North. Pretty easy.

DVT has two major training schools there and waits to take off can be very bad. Plus you are on the North end of the Phoenix area. Not good for traffic considerations.

Trust me on the traffic situation. You'll thank me late!!!!

Thanks for all good suggestions. I'll have to get on Foreflight and try a few different plans.

That's because it's all still up in the air. My wife's conference is just south of the Phoenix Mountians. She wants to visit a friend in Wickenburg, and I have a friend in Mesa I want to catch up with....I'm thinking Deer Valley might be the best option for our stay.

Back