What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Couple of G3X System Setup Questions

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I had a big night a couple of nights ago when I threw the master and avionics switches and everything lit up with no sparks or smoke!

I am in the process now of configuring my system and have a couple of issues I can't find the solution to.

1) I currently have one GDU 370 and a GDU 375. In the config mode, the system is telling me that I have two PFDs... how do I get the system to recognize the 375 as the MFD and not the second PFD?

2) What do I need to do to get the VPX page to appear on the menus?
I have the VPX hooked up and powered up, but I don't see any VPX enable sort of options in the config mode.

Thanks,
Jason

Did you build the harness Jason? You tell the unit wheter it is a PFD or MFD with jumpers in the harness plug - can't remember the pin numbers right now, but it's in the install manual. (might be 9 and 10)

I haven't played with the VPX, so can't help you there...

The system is prety cool, and setup is simple (as EFIS's go) - I just configured my trim feedbacks tonight, and the process was slick - and they work great!

Paul

Each display uses certain pins in the wiring harness to determine if it is PFD1, MFD, or PFD2. In a two-display system you want to have your displays wired as PFD1 and MFD, but it sounds like what you have instead is PFD1 and PFD2. Take a look at section A.1.3 and figure E-1.2 in the install manual... I bet all you need to do is remove the connection to ground on pin 9 of the unit that thinks it needs to be PFD2, and it will turn itself into an MFD like you want.

Once you have that sorted out, all you need to do to for Vertical Power support is configure the appropriate RS-232 port on your MFD to "Vertical Power" format, and the VP-X page will appear in the main page sequence whenever your VP-X unit is alive and talking. Vertical Power has this nicely documented in sections 5.10d and 6.4 of their install manual.

good luck,
mcb

And you will really like the VP-X interface they developed!

VPX / G3X MFD config

So I am in exactly the same situation. First time powering on.

I have MFD wired to VPX. VPX powered for first time. G3X MFD boots to map page (I assume this means I left the jumper off and it is wired correctly as MFD). GSU73 is not powered by VPX yet.

I was able to update the system software on the MFD to 9.00 from 4.1x. Can bus is wired to several other LRUs but not terminated at the roll servo yet as the wings are not on.

How do I get to the configure RS232 port page on the MFD? The system setup under menus doesn't seem to have a "Comm" page/tab per the VPX instructions. Ahh, nevermind, it looks like you hold down softkey #1 bottom left during unit power on. Off to try this now.

Thanks,
Jim Clark

Last edited:
Hello Jim,

In a full G3X system as you have, all configuration is done through the GDU that is configured (via jumpers) as the PFD1 display. So, all you'll need to do is power on your PFD1 display.

By the way, the above assumes you have a G3X system with multiple GDU screens. If you only have a single display, you will need to configured it (again via the jumpers) as PFD1.

For further information, you will want to reference section 20.2.3 in the G3X installation manual (rev P). Please let us know if you have any further questions.

- Matt

PFD/MFD/Serial Port Wiring

Hmm,

I may still be a bit confused.

I was able to get all 3 screens to power on prior to connecting VPX into the system. VPX advises wiring VPX serial to G3X MFD. They also state the dedicated EFIS pwr goes to the same EFIS as serial port (in this case MFD).

Thus, in the early part of the configuration, only the MFD gets power from VPX, but you state that I should be using the PFD (currently unpowered).

I was able to get the MFD into configuration mode by holding the left softkey, and was able to select the comm port to VPX. The VPX tab now shows up.

I guess my question now is: how to configure the VPX to also power the PFD1. I was hoping to do this through the G3X screen on the MFD (adding devices, etc), since I have a Mac and was trying to avoid the VPX configurator Windows app in emulation/Parallels mode. I will go read your reference to see if this is possible using the G3X interface, or if I have to use the VPX configurator.

Thanks for your help at the late hour. Do you ever sleep?

Jim

Hello Jim,

There is no configuration of the Vertical Power unit that is done through any of the G3X displays, other than the selection of the appropriate RS-232 format to communicate with the VP-X unit. You will need to refer to the Vertical Power documentation and use the computer application to configure your VP-X unit.

Once you power on your PFD1 display and GSU 73, your MFD GDU will recognize that it is part of a full G3X system and then subsequently all configuration will be performed through the PFD1 display as described in the G3X installation manual.

- Matt

Thanks

Thanks Matt,

Very helpful. Nice of you to be responding so late on a weekend. I guess it is off to VMWare or Parallels on this mac laptop for the VPX Configurator App.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Best regards,
Jim

Back