What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Xm radio antenna location

RonB

Hello all

I've installled an XM satellite radio in my RV7A but I'm having trouble finding a good location for the antenna. I presently have it on the glare shield in front of the roll bar support - slider canopy - but lousy and almost no reception.

I really don't want to install on the skin of the airplane.

Anyone have experience with antenna location?

Thanks

RonB

Hello all

I've installled an XM satellite radio in my RV7A but I'm having trouble finding a good location for the antenna. I presently have it on the glare shield in front of the roll bar support - slider canopy - but lousy and almost no reception.

I really don't want to install on the skin of the airplane.

Anyone have experience with antenna location?

Mine is right of the roll bar support, by six inches or so...........and has great reception. RV6A

L.Adamson

I have mine in

the middle of the cross brace behind the seats. Slider. I used an air gizmo mount so I can easily remove it to use in the motorhome. Works great.

Ditto to Frazitl's solution

Mine is also velcro'd to the cross bar. No problems other than a brief loss of signal when upside down.;)

Good luck.
David

XM Antenna

I have had two XM antennas (396, 696) mounted on the glareshield with no loss of reception at any time.

Suresh
7A

Xm

Hello all

Thanks for all the replys. It turns out the receiver is bad. It works intermittently even though it powers up fine and indicates it's searching for a signal and once in a great while connects. I installed the same model receiver we had installed in our home into the airplane and it works great with the original antenna location about 3/4" ahead of the roll bar. I just landed from a test flight and absolutely no problems. I'll now have to buy another receiver for the house to keep the little lady happy.

In case anyone is interested my receiver is the skyfl2 and I velcroed it to the inside of the firewall- out of sight and velcroed the remote unit to the carpet between the seats. I never have to touch the receiver, no panel or other space used. Just push the button and fly away.

RonB

Again thanks.

Back