What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Off to Oshkosh!

sprucemoose

Well Known Member
Leaving in five minutes for Oshkosh. Lots of work to get done to have the Sea of RVs ready. Look forward to seeing you all there in a few days. Fly safely and READ THE NOTAM! (and follow it!)

we're pointed that way tomorrow, but won't see you until friday around 9ish.
what time would recommend for a 1st timer to do battle with the pattern? is early better or mid morning or ???

we're pointed that way tomorrow, but won't see you until friday around 9ish.
what time would recommend for a 1st timer to do battle with the pattern? is early better or mid morning or ???

Brian, if you're arriving on Friday, you probably won't have much traffic to contend with, period. Oh, it will seem like a lot, but compared with Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday, it will probably disappoint you.

"That's it? All that talk about arrival patterns, NOTAMs and risking certain death to fly into Oshkosh? I only saw two other planes!" :D

Be sure to take a chair and some sun screen and, after you get settled in, plop yourself down and watch planes land. By Sunday afternoon, you'll be grateful that you arrived on Friday.

A well kept secret about flying into OSH is get there early. I launch at 0500 and cross Ripon at 0755. Usually the controllers say increase speed and "Welcome to Oshkosh". Why so early? No traffic and there are donuts at the HB headquarters. ;)

Last edited:
Went up today for an hr. to practice slow flight. I only flew slow in the RV-10 during transition training and on landings. I was very happy with the feel at 90 knots doing rate one turns and all. With that said I plan to leave Friday morning and if the weather Gods co-operate be there Friday evening. It's about 7 hr flight for us, three legs. Our first will be over three hrs, the next should be two plus and the last one should be arround one hr. We don't expect the weather to work out it never does, and besides everything else has. A commitment I had for this Sunday delayed, work slacked off and the weather here cleared off and is forcast nice til the weekend. Can't be a good omen, it will be what it will be, we'll see and hopefully finally get to meet you fine people.
Ron

Wheels up time for me is Sat morning at 8 am to Illinois. Staying the night there and head up to OSH early Sunday morning. Can't wait!!!!:D

Well I left OKC at 10 this morning................with the 5th wheel & pickup.:D I have my wife, daughter & her boyfriend with me. We're planning a Friday noon arrival. I was fortunate enough to get a little exrta time off.
Work slowed down enough for me to leave, but it looks like I'm going to get hammered when I get home. Really a good problem to have, I'll be able to pay for the trip.:)
At this point, we're in a campground in Lebanon, MO. We wanted to just have a relaxing drive and take our time, so far it's really been nice.

Marshall Alexander

We are heading up on Sunday evening and should arrive on Monday morning. We are part of "Ford Windstars with a birdstrike mark on the windshield to Oshkosh". LOL

A well kept secret about flying into OSH is get there early. I launch at 0500 and cross Ripon at 0755. Usually the controllers say increase speed and "Welcome to Oshkosh". Why so early? No traffic and there are donuts at the HB headquarters. ;)

Larry,

Looks like a 5:30 launch from here, should cross Ripon just ahead of you at about 7:40 plus or minus whatever the wind is Sunday morning. I don't do doughnuts so if there are any left, they will hold mine for you. :)

My launch tomorrow at 0700 will be Turbo Subaru powered! Actually, I'm driving my wife's turbo Forester as I can't take a bunch of kids in the 9A. Seven hours vs. 1.8 in the 9A, but just being at Oshkosh is everything. And besides, I most enjoy showing "newbies" around, and this time I'll have six of them. See you there!

Bob

I'm hoping to be wheels up at 6 am Saturday morning out of Calgary. The plan is to clear customs in Williston, ND, fuel up again outside Minneapolis and then over night in La Crosse, WI.

The weather is going to screw with me I'm sure :) so we'll see what sort of diversions I'll have to do. Either way, heading to OSH is a dream come true. Only 2 days 8 hours 22 minutes and 12 seconds..... But who's counting.....oops .... 4 seconds:)

We pulled into Sleepy Hollow (space 69) at 12:30 today. The weaher is great.
Jeff has new shower facilities and restrooms. I just got finished with a shower and it was great. They also have a sewer dump station.
Drop in and see us.

Marshall Alexander

We're enroute, presently in Springfield OH. Our plan is to arrive early tomorrow (Sun) morning after spending the night in Milwaukee. How's campsite availability looking?

Camp Scholler or homebuilt camping? Scholler is filling up but still plenty of spots. HBC is still plenty open.

Larry,

Looks like a 5:30 launch from here, should cross Ripon just ahead of you at about 7:40 plus or minus whatever the wind is Sunday morning. I don't do doughnuts so if there are any left, they will hold mine for you. :)

You da man! :D

I launch at O dark 30 in the am. -15 hours and counting........

Add one more to the list..

Four long legs from San Diego to Wisconsin. Took the north route. Via Fillmore UT, over the rockies to Scottsbluff, NE, a little deviation to say hi to Mt Rushmore and now overnight in Waukesha, WI visiting friends. Will be there tomorrow!
Weather today was a factor..tomorrow shaping up to be great.

Suresh

Back