What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Solo Flight in an RV-7A

ArmyDad

Hello Fellow Builders, RV Pilots, and Dreamers,
Well let me tell you it was a great day when that first box arrived and the parts were spread out on the living room floor. The building (or more correctly ) "assembly" process took 3 years, 9 nine months and 8 mostly fun-filled and educational days. That first flight back on September 11th, 2005 was definitely an adrenalin rush. Topped only by flights through Monument Valley and rolls over the Grand Canyon at sunset. Trust me, the RV grin never goes away. I sure have met a bunch of wonderful people and made a lot of great friends. But the greatest thrill of all happened on Thursday, September 3rd, 2009.
My seventeen year old son, Chase, alone and unassisted, broke the surly bonds of earth, and thereby successfully completed his first solo flight in N914E, and RV-7A. He is learning to fly, in an aircraft that he helped me complete in my garage.

http://i26.tinypic.com/72371w.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/33vyjwz.jpg

I am indebted to a lot of folks who helped me along the way, especially, Dave, Craig, Walt, Cary, Dan C and others, and most importantly, Van, the Man, for making such a wonderful machine available to us. Special thanks to Gary Patzke, CFI and the "original" guitar hero
Best regards,
Bernie " Smoker " Ockuly
Strongsville, Ohio,
N914E, RV-7A ,180 hp factory Lycoming. Sensenich prop,
590 hours, 1,285 landings, 1,391 rolls, 115 gallons of smoke oil,
since 9/11/05
L.G.I.T.W.

Last edited:
That Is Awesome!

Bernie,
Congratulations to Chase and to you! I hope that you were right there to see it. Melissa and I are wondering who might have had the wider grin, you or Chase?
My only question is did Chase take a page from your book and have the smoke on?
Post up more pictures as he move on to his PPL.

Congratulations!

That is great! I hope my 6 & 10 yr old children can do the same in our -10 someday(kit to arrive in Oct). Chase, work towards that check ride day. That is even a better day for some. Hope to run into you guys soon.

Very Cool!!!!

Hey Chase...
Welcome!!!!and congratulations.
Flew a little different without Dad in the right seat, I'll bet!!

Regards,
Chris

Congratulations!

Congratulations Chase! Be proud.
I hope our 10 year old son can do the same in our 7A when the time comes.
Send pics from your long cross country, PPL and more.

Suresh

Justly proud!

Army Dad Bernie writes: My seventeen year old son, Chase, alone and unassisted, broke the surly bonds of earth, and thereby successfully completed his first solo flight in N914E, and RV-7A. He is learning to fly, in an aircraft that he helped me complete in my garage.

Good on you and son Chase! You are both entitled to be most pleased and proud. What an outstanding achievement to solo at 17 in an RV!

Perhaps you will permit me to join you with similar note of my own parental pride, as a few weeks back my Navy Ensign daughter had her first solo in a T-34 turbo mentor @ Corpus Christi. When she called to tell me, I could hear the broad smile in her enthusiastic voice.

(The above, of course, makes me a "Navy Dad", heh heh heh)

Back