What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

replace carb jet instead of drill - suitable part?

prkaye

Well Known Member
It was suggested that instead of drilling/reaming a carb jet, I could buy one the next size up.
My carb is an MA-4SPA (5217) model. According to the overhaul manual's parts list, the jet in this is part number 47-828 .
How would I determine the suitable/compatible part number to get for an equivalent nozzle that is about .006 larger?

Last edited:
I looked and looked and couldn't determine exactly which one might be the right one.

I found ones with bigger holes, but the mid-range feed was drilled different and is reported to not run as smooth in the mid rpm range.

I decided I'd drill the one I had and if it didn't work then I'd order a replacement.

Drilling worked fine... Didn't have a need to order a replacement.

BTW: one reason we have stayed at #40 is that I didn't go to #39 is that it may be big enough that the smooth transition through the jet may be removed leaving a square cylindrical hole instead of the nice flow path.

So I reamed my main carb jet out to #40. It was initially #42. I was surprised to find that this only made about 1 GPH increase in takeoff Fuel Flow (from 11.1GPH to about 12.15GPH).
The strange thing is, when I look back at my notes from first flight about 4 years ago, I wrote down WOT Fuel Flow was up around 12.5GPH. Not sure why it is lower now, even after enlarging the jet.

Between fixing my cylinder wrap, adding lower-cowl louvers and drilling the jet out, my CHT numbers are under control. On an 88F summer day, I could climb at 90kts WOT to 2000'AGL before my hottest two cylinders got to 399F, and then throttling back to 75 percent power for a cruise climb they went back down and were all under 370 in cruise at 75% power. So I guess I'm happy with this. I was surprised that the difference by reaming the jet was not more significant however.

Back