What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor replacement ???

BruceW

Well Known Member
I have a flap motor (early 2000's vintage) in my RV-7 that has failed twice due to grease intrusion in 200 hours. Since extracting most of the grease in the gear box (to avoid intrusion), there are some metal slivers in the box, presumably some kind of wear. I am ready to just order a whole new flap motor and actuator.

Question for anyone that has done a replacement- what is the track record of the new flap motors? Better/worse/same as the older units??? Thanks in advance.

Bruce Walters
Sacramento, CA
N743WW

new motor

I ordered a new motor after a few fails. The new motor came loaded with grease, I cleaned it out good before installing and it has worked fine now for a few years. I ordered just the motor from the supplier, not the whole assy. from vans. Don't remember the supplier, I'm sure it on my web site somewhere.

Better Flap Motor, and cheaper

If you are looking for a better flap motor than what Vans sells, and is only $124, plus shipping. You can get with or without a position pot for flap position. All actuators come with built in limit switches. Vans needs the 4 inch throw, but they come in different lengths. Whole thing less than $145 with shipping and works great with SkyView.

http://www.aeicomp.com/Detail.asp?Pr...2IP65+Rated"

To make it easier, get the little mounting bracket for $7 and you are on your way.

http://www.aeicomp.com/Detail.asp?Pr...ries+Actuators

The only thing you would have to do is unscrew the outside of the pushrod, put in a lathe, drill a center hole and tap for the rod end.

These people are nice and will help you out.

FYI, another poster found the same one at www.surpluscenter.com for $92.

Good luck.

Brian

I ordered a new motor after a few fails. The new motor came loaded with grease, I cleaned it out good before installing and it has worked fine now for a few years. I ordered just the motor from the supplier, not the whole assy. from vans. Don't remember the supplier, I'm sure it on my web site somewhere.

Brad Durham
Usher Precision Manufacturing
3863 24th Ave.
Forest Grove, OR 97116
503-992-0015
503-992-0012 fax
www.usherprecision.com
[email protected]

Thanks for the replies.
Since I have metal slivers in the gearbox (probably from removing all the grease), I figure I should replace the actuator also.

Back