What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Zulu 2 Headset

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Been thinking about upgrading from my older David Clark ANR to the new Zulu. Tried it out in the local airport pilot shop and was fairly impressed. My DC set still isn't the quietest thing on takeoff in my RV-4. Does the Zulu 2 really blank out as much noise as it advertises? Any thoughts? How well does the bluetooth work with MP3 player/cellphone.

I thought my Zulu I was really good, but my Zulu 2 is noticeably quieter. The Bluetooth feature works very well with my iPhone; Haven't tried it with an mp3 player.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Zulu 1 is Fantastic

I've been flying with a Zulu 1 in my RV-4 now for about three years and 400 hours. And if you try to take it from me, you'll have a fight on your hands.

Seriously, It's the finest headset I've ever flown with. And the Bluetooth works great with my iPad.

I'm planning to buy a Zulu 2 if my 1 ever quits, but it doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon.

-Matt
402BD

Zulu 2 is about to be superceded by the new Zulu PFX. (Said to be available after 30 Sept).
There is usually a trade up program for owners of superceded headset (eg Zulu 2) after a few months, so price of Zulu 2 may come down soon.
John

I started flying my RV with an older Lightspeed headset (15XLR or somesuch). In C172s I had always been happy with them. Started flying my RV and, as I had been warned, RVs are noisy; I found the noise distracting. I upgraded to a new Zulu 2 and it changed the auditory flying experience completely. Liked 'em so much, bought a second set for the Spousal Unit. :)

Zulu 2s are the best thing I've found for quieting down a RV9 cockpit. Wish I was able to buy the second pair for the co pilot! Haven't used the bluetooth much except occasionally on the ramp. Seems to work fine.

The Zulu 2 is a sweet headset; very quiet, very comfortable. I've not tried the bluetooth yet, but with the XM radio plugged into the wired input on the battery pack, the audio quality sounds really good.

In the 1000+ hrs flown in my RV-8 I've tried 4 different headsets; an old DC H10-40 with an ANR conversion, a Pilot Avionics ANR (DC clone) unit, the lightweight Halo, plus the Zulu. I think I'm the one guy that's not a huge fan of the Halo; it's so lightweight that the microphone shifts around on my head and the fiddly earplugs became rather annoying... so it's now my backup headset and the Zulu is for regular use. Love it.

Wouldn't get any other!

I don't use the BT feature, but do pipe music in through the audio jacks. I found the Bose X didn't do a very good job and went for the Zulu . Since then, I got a second pair for Christmas one year and that was a Zulu 2. I can't tell a big difference between the Zulu and Zulu 2, but both are so far above any others, you can't go wrong. I've worn a set on a one-day 11 hour cross country from OSH to Seattle, and head clamp wasn't even a concern. Super comfortable even through a long flying day!

I purchased an original Zulu and loved it. At OSH 11, I purchased a new Z2 and handed down the original Z1 to my Bride. On the 9 hour "test drive" back home I found that the original was more comfortable and quieter to me, so I traded the new Z2 for a pair of the last remaining new Z1's.

And like others, you will have a fight on your hands to get them from me.

I tried Zulu 2 and PFX at OSH

Last month, I carried my Zulu 1 into the Lightspeed tent at Oshkosh and compared it to both the Zulu 2 and the PFX, planning to upgrade my headset. I could not tell any relative improvement over mine so I kept the Zulu 1. Further, the PFX has a "huge" box associated with it for the new electronics.

It is important to note, that the Zulu 1 is waaaaay better than the Sennheiser unit it replaced. If my Zulu's were to die, I would consider scrubbing the flight (in my -4). In my buddies Navion, the difference between my Zulu 1 and his passive Peltors is noticeable, but not huge.

Good luck,

original zulu's

Ditto... I fly an RV4 and have been using the orginal Zulu's for a couple of years. Keep getting tempted to trade up to a newer version.....but why? The ones I have now are just great.

A20 Comparison

My two-year-old DC ANC headset died a couple weeks ago and I intend to send them in for repair. Family gifted me a Bose A20 and they are nothing short of incredible. I want to upgrade the wife's headset, but which one? Anyone compare the Zulu's to the A20?

Lightspeed Zulu - PIREP

Have just completed 500 hours on a set of Lightspeed Zulus. No problems with the product.

I do want to post a note of appreciation to Lightspeed for their great service and support. On two occasions (once at OSH) they have serviced the headset, replaced a part or two (normal wear and tear) and done it with enthusiasm. They'll get my business again.

Suresh

Back