What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgraded Oil Cooler Recommendations

carrollcw

Well Known Member
In my 50 hour RV-7, I have sorted out most of my temp issues except for oil temperature. I cannot keep the temps below 200 during climb even while climbing out at 140 KIAS. They will come down below 200 once leveled off and running LOP, but not during ROP ops. Thus, I am thinking of investing in a different oil cooler than the one Vans supplies with the FF kit.

I have found an Aero Classics one that claims to drop the temps by approx 20 deg and will fit on my existing baffle mount (cylinder 4). Can anyone recommend the Aero Classic oil cooler and/or give me a recommendation for another BAFFLE MOUNTED oil cooler?

I do not intend to have this thread creep into the other firewall mounted oil cooler options. Just interested in better performing oil coolers that can easily replace my existing cooler.

Thanks!

Give the folks at Pacific Coolers a call and tell them about your setup - not only do they know their stuff and can give you a couple of options, my experience has been that they will match the lowest prices for any specific cooler - and they have them all. (Aero Classic is their brand BTW).

Paul

The Lycoming manual states that 180*F is the desirable operational temperature and 245*F is the maximum oil temperature.

If you are exceeding 200*F in climb, I don't think that is a big deal as it will cool down once in cruise.

The other question I have is, once clear of obstacles, what do you climb at? I ask because once above 1000' AGL, I typically set up for a 500 FPM climb which provides good forward speed and helps keep things cool under the cowling. I've held this ROC from 1000 MSL all the way up to 15.5 and didn't have an oil temp issue. However, if your typical flight profile is lots of high power, low airspeed stuff like an acro pilot will do, then the standard oil cooler setup isn't going to work for you. (Some of the unlimited acro planes have two LARGE oil coolers.)

You didn't mention how your CHT's react in climb and/or if you have the piston cooling oil squirters installed. If you have the squirters, you are trading CHT temps for oil temps. I believe the Lycoming manual was written before the advent of those piston squirters, so what those temps may be "normal", for an engine with squirters.

If you are still worried about it, I swapped mine out with a SW 10599R. It is almost a drop in exact replacement.

Last edited:
There is a Niagara Cooler that has 9 rows (20003a vs 20002a) as opposed to the stock Vans 7 row. It is only slightly wider at the mounting flange holes.

Look at the performance charts, back calculate your heat rejection and you should be able to estimate your new oil-ambient temp spread.

Be Cool:cool:

Niagara coolers

I've seen improvments over the stock cooler using the SW/Meggit 8406R, it's interchangable with the stock baffle mounted cooler.

I've also heard that a spacer to set the cooler back from the cylinder head helps. I doesn't have to be very far, maybe 1/4" for the first try?

To answer your question...I have been using Aero Classic oil cooler on mine and have been very happy with it. I believe I have the 10 row version.

I think your oil temps are fine depending on OAT which I did not see mentioned. 200F is fine but if that is when OAT is 65F it will be much higher at 90F. Here in Texas in 100F OAT I was getting to 220 or 225 in a modest climb. This past winter I replaced my Aero Classic on the baffle with a AirFlow Systems 2006X on the firewall with 4" duct, slide door and fiberglass duct from AirFlow Systems. We have not had any hot weather yet here (just lots of rain) but I have the slide door open just a little and keep to 200F in a hard climb.

I'd finally gotten to the "go big or stay home" point with the oil cooler and like what I have now a lot. Once I fly in some hot weather I'll post pictures and more information.

Aero classic worked great for us

We replaced our stock oil cooler on the 7a with an o360 with the aero classic copy of the SW8406. The key is that it is dual pass, solved our problem but it was a lot of work to get it on baffle location because of the different hose configuration.

Based on what others have said about your temps, you may want to consider the anti-splat cowl flap modification. Will be much easier to install and will help with your CHTs as well. We are installing one now, do not have any data yet.

Meggitt (Stewart Warner) specs, dimensions:

http://www.oilcoolers.com/LCHX_Specifications.pdf

This chart has excellent information on performance, but the scanned quality sucks. It is not readable for the proper dimensions that a user would need to determine mounting flange dimensions. I think they (8406R) are the same as the Niagara 20003a, so it might fit without modifications and it has 325 blah blah vs 250 blah blah capacity for the Vans 20002a. That amounts to about 25F diff. Many assumptions, so knowing oil temp vs ambient and airspeeds will greatly help sizing.

This chart has excellent information on performance, but the scanned quality sucks. It is not readable for the proper dimensions that a user would need to determine mounting flange dimensions. I think they (8406R) are the same as the Niagara 20003a, so it might fit without modifications and it has 325 blah blah vs 250 blah blah capacity for the Vans 20002a. That amounts to about 25F diff. Many assumptions, so knowing oil temp vs ambient and airspeeds will greatly help sizing.

Here's the cleaner version of the pdf http://www.oilcoolers.com/LCHXSpecifications.pdf

May be better if downloaded and opened outside the browser. If not, I have good copy for you.

Interesting article from a few years ago. Not sure I agree with all of it:

http://wiki.velocityoba.com/images/1/1a/Cool_Runnings_0609.pdf
I thought I had a good copy, and tried everything with that link, but , well, it just did not work. Don't know why.

Funny, I was just reading that article, and came to the same conclusion. Some good stuff in there, but falls short of usability where people don't have their fundamental data - like air side pressure drop.

Thanks, That is MUCH better, and usable. I googled for a while and saw that one but for some reason I did not connect with the better resolution. Thanks for the link, all can use it. I wonder why oilcoolers.com has two versions, the one with the _ is the low resolution. It is also the one linked on their webpage.

Last edited:
Back