What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9,000 RVs Built and Flown!!!!!!

You design and sell a quality product, offer it at a good value, and stick around to provide excellent support, you can be successful in general aviation.
Now over 9000; Great accomplishment, Van's Aircraft!

Check out page 4 of the April 2015 EAA EXPERIMENTER Magazine.

The article talks about how Van's has 9,000 airplanes since 1972 with 60 employees. Airbus has 9,000 airplanes since 1974 with 58,000 employees.

Interesting stats from the Facebook post

Van's Facebook page said:
To help visualize what 9000 RVs might look like, computer artist Adam Burch produced a couple of graphics and ?thought pictures?:
Assuming an average wingspan of 27? with no gaps, 9,000 RV?s parked wingtip to wingtip would form a line of aircraft 46 miles long... :eek:
A rectangular grid of airplanes would be roughly 850 m X 720 m (with a couple inches of space between wingtips) (2788? X 2362?) and would cover about 151 acres.
Assuming an average of 180 HP, the total fleet of 9,000 would generate 1,620,000 HP

Congrats to Mr. VanGrunsven and the entire Vans' crew! Looking forward to seeing the RV hobbs roll 10,000...before Airbus does.

Bet it is more

I know of at least 5 people who didn't notify the mother ship of their completions. I'll bet is much more than 9000 flying. Wonder what the current tail kit sales are.

Depends on how they arrived at the total. Is it notifications or FAA and other country registrations? I didn't notify Van's of my completion so am I one of the 9000? :D

When the airplane first flies it becomes a part of the Collective. The mothership knows.:):)

Congrats Vans!!

9000 Something to behold

The old adage "build it and they will come" is forever true. What I want to know is how many factory airplanes has Vans passed up?

Is it notifications or FAA and other country registrations?

For the most part it is based on notifications.
If your RV is flying but you have never told anyone at Van's, there is a very good chance you are not included in the current total.

If the average completion rate from the last few years continues the number should hit 10,000 sometime in the summer of 2017

Back