What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Contact at Superior Engine

docsuresh

Does anyone have a contact at Superior Air Parts (Superior engines). Have called multiple times, left messages without a response.

Background
Have an RV7/XP-360 with 495 hours on a meticulously maintained, strong-running engine that showed some metal in filter during a recent oil change. Oil analysis and metal analysis are providing some clues on specific alloy material and would like to get more information from Superior to start pinpointing potential source of metal. I?m not an engine expert and trying to figure out the next steps.

[BTW..I did exchange some information with Bobby our resident ?Titan Engine Expert? and so thankful he is on the forum].

Also, happy to share more details etc. if any of you would like to know..don?t want to inundate this group with reams of patient data.

thanks,

Suresh
N765RV
XP360/Hartzell CS
"go fly" is the best answer

keep us posted on what the final outcome turns out to be . I have the same engine in my -7 (o-360) with 705 hrs since new, meticulously maintained as well and wondering what the outcome will be from Superior.

Not good. Worked through a sequence of steps/tests yesterday and long story short ? ended up pulling cylinder #3 and located a lifter that was pretty badly spalled with the cam in bad shape as well. Time to take the engine down this week and send over to split the case. Will know much more then.

Hard to say what could have caused the problem. Will continue to dig. Maintained by the book, flies reasonably regularly 495 hours in exactly 5 years..pretty evenly spread out. Engine is factory built. Has been a flawless engine to date and still running very strong. Superior says its unusual to see this problem in an engine so early in its life.

Suresh

Darrell

is a good contact. I called last week too, and he was in a training class. He is probably digging out this week. Sorry to hear you have a big job on a low time engine.

Back