What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What altitude do most RV pilots fly?

cbrown747

I live in florida and was wondering what altitude other rv pilots fly at during the typical summer weather. I am referring to flying vfr. I am looking to fly above the weather at all times if possible yet I know those cumulous clouds in the summer time will not make that possible.

For those pilots who have auto pilot, how practical are they if you have to go around the typical thunderstorms we have?

I live in florida and was wondering what altitude other rv pilots fly at during the typical summer weather.
From 500 AGL to 18,000 feet generally. There are lots of different conditions and terrain.

I am referring to flying vfr. I am looking to fly above the weather at all times if possible yet I know those cumulous clouds in the summer time will not make that possible.

Flying above the weather is very often not possible in the summer or winter.

For those pilots who have auto pilot, how practical are they if you have to go around the typical thunderstorms we have?

Pretty much all autopilots have functions where you can steer away from your original course. Autopilots are very practical and never necessary for VFR.

Since I'm in the mountain west, it's usually between 7,500 & 9,500 msl. Will sometimes go up to 13,500'. Past 10,000' I start thinking about oxygen, as I can get a bit tired after a flight, even if it's not above the legal 12,500' mark.
We do have a two place oxygen system, as well as an oxymeter.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I fly mid-Georgia to mid-Florida often, usually 5500 to 8500 msl. Those altitudes get me above turbulence and provide for nice rides. Conditions usually change at the GA-FL border in summer causing more diversions around buildups as I move south. Morning and early afternoon flying is preferred.

It Depends

Hi Charlie:
While much of my flying is on instrument flight plans, the reality is that about 95% is in VFR conditions. Some considerations:
How far am I going? - No sense climbing to 10,000 if the trip is less than 200 miles. However, 8-10 is usually my choice for x-country for reasons of safety (glide), weather, ride comfort, and hopefully, winds aloft.
What's the OAT? - Got a good heater but no A/C. I look for an altitude that will be "comfortable".
Where do the "bumps" stop? I prefer a smooth ride, especially with a passenger on board. In mid-summer at mid-day, that may mean above 6 or 8 thousand.
Where's the weather? - Flying above the clouds usually means above the turbulence as well.
Convective Activity - Forget it. Can't out climb a building cumulus. However, many times the cells are nothing more than widespread "towers" and can be easily navigated around. Airmass, frontal, embedded - Don't even think about it at this point in your flying career.
Autopilot - Most will tie into a GPS for course guidance or can be set to a heading. Want to change headings, just push the button.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

flying altitude

Most of my flying is going for the $100 hamburger and usually within 1 hour duration, so I fly 2,000 - 3,000. No sense wasting fuel going higher.

When I go cross country (> 2 hours) I shoot for 7,000 - 8,000 because that is the optimum altitude for best speed and lowest fuel usage and it is usually the minimum enroute IFR altitude, and I usually go on an IFR plan even if severe VFR weather. My wife likes the radar service looking for other airplanes.

If I go over the mountains I go OVER , not thru. This means 9,000 or higher. I've cruised at 15,000 (PA28-236) to stay above clouds over the Cascades. Yes, I have an O2 bottle.

Let's face it, most of our RV flying is within 100 miles +/-, unless your name is Rosie.

Since our planes climb so well, during the summer I try to out climb the bumps. On a 60 mile flight to our "local" BBQ joint, I have no problem going up to 5500 to get out of the bumps. On longer trips, I have been up to 12.5 but usually plan on 7.5 to 10.5.

It is rare that I fly below 10,500' MSL (airport at ~6880' MSL). Over the mountains 13,500' MSL and higher is the norm.

I went to 10,500' MSL to go from Fort Pierce Florida across the state to Crystal River.

Less VFR traffic. Smoother ride. Better fuel economy.

As far as the autopilot, try flying 11-13 hours in a day without one.

My default minimum altitude for cross-countries is 8,000' - a great efficiency point for the engine and airframe. If the flight is any distance at all, I'll shoot for 10K at least. With those two numbers in mind, my goal is to have a smooth, cool ride with the best ground speed and highest mpg I can get. Gee, do I want too much? So many variables, as others have stated - but balancing them all is half the fun!

For local flying here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I usually plan on 4,000' to get above the bumps - and to a good Acro altitude. And then some days I just feel like doing a "moonshot - up to 15 or 16 thousand and back down. No reason - just a nice view and cool air!

Paul

8-10K

I like to avoid the ravens, bugs, and bumpy ride at the lower altitudes. Added plus is the extra glide distance if she flames out.
Chuck O
Tehachapi, CA

My default minimum altitude for cross-countries is 8,000' - a great efficiency point for the engine and airframe. If the flight is any distance at all, I'll shoot for 10K at least. With those two numbers in mind, my goal is to have a smooth, cool ride with the best ground speed and highest mpg I can get. Gee, do I want too much? So many variables, as others have stated - but balancing them all is half the fun!

For local flying here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I usually plan on 4,000' to get above the bumps - and to a good Acro altitude. And then some days I just feel like doing a "moonshot - up to 15 or 16 thousand and back down. No reason - just a nice view and cool air!

Paul

Yup!

My altitude selection pretty much matches Paul's.

Where the winds are ride are the best

I do a 154 NM "commute" two to three times a week(leave in the morning, fly home in the afternoon). Typical morning winds are from the west (tailwind) and the higher the better. My 7 climbs so easy, I typically shoot for 7500-11500 going to work, depending on winds/weather.

Coming home, almost always a head wind. If it's really bad, I stay low to save time (and suffer the bumpy ride). If it's less than 10 knots headwind component, I climb to where ever is comfortable, usually 6500 to 10500.

Just my two cents. The RV's perform really well at most reasonable altitudes.

As for autopilot, sure, it's a luxury, but it's one I really, really enjoy. :)

For deviations, I just switch from "track" to "course" mode and dial the selected course. (Trio Pro Pilot)

Since I do most of my local flying early in the moring, I fly 1000 agl which here in MO around STL is 1500 to 2000 MSL. Very fun going fast down low when smooth.

Cross country I also fly early in the AM so fly 3000-4000 ft MSL. Since I never push fuel I live with the increase in fuel burn flying down low because I like to watch the country side go by. The United States has great things to see from a couple thousand feet up. If I am flying in the afternoon I fly 8,000 or above to get out of the chop.

Thanks for all the responses on my question:
What altitude do rv pilots fly in the summer months, especially florida?

Once again, I find it incredible how involved so many people are in the rv community. Again it reminds me how helpful this forum will be in my building process.

I am really looking forward to getting back up in the air again. I deliberately grounded myself so I can build a rv-9a. I cannot do both. I have not flown as pilot in command since november 2008 since I sold my old & slow cessna 150. I refuse to pay nearly $300 to rent a cessna 172 at a local fbo to get that $100 hamburger, so it looks like I will need to buckle down and get going on this project and hopefully someday I can discuss issues such as where are the nearby flyinn's.

Thanks for all the responses on my question:
What altitude do rv pilots fly in the summer months, especially florida?....
There's not one answer. Where are we headed? We going out over the bay, lakes, beaches? Headed over rangeland? What's the weather doing (bumps down low)? I'd say 75% of my time is somewhere between 1000-3000. But that's in Texas air. ;)

where to fly

An old friend of mine use to say.
" Climb and maintain 60 degrees"
If I remember right we were leaving Oshkosh on a hot day.
Same as Florida on a normal day!

What altitude do most RV pilots fly?

I guess most have a great attitude. I know my attitude is going to be much better once I'm an RV pilot!

What?....Oops nevermind, I'll go clean the fiberglass dust off my glasses.:D

+1
thought I was the only loon that did this... ;-)
can't explain why it's fun, but it is...

. And then some days I just feel like doing a "moonshot - up to 15 or 16 thousand and back down. No reason - just a nice view and cool air!

Paul

My personal preference for XC (defined as > 1 hour flying time) is in the 11500-15500 range. Cooler (sometimes too cool!), less bumpy, better fuel economy, better view, more glide range, less traffic, and I can actually get flight following. This all assumes no weather and relatively calm winds. I routinely use O2, of course.

greg

I like the answer---any altitude we want! It is truly amazing. Being an old rotor head, I just have to fly low once in a while, 2000-3000 ft giving rides, and 5500-12500 on cross countries, depending on winds and bumps.

But I have to add, I learn so much someone asks a question like this, and it makes me appreciate theses RVs even more

Yesterday a couple of us flew back from Rosamond to RNM at 11.5k (the only sane way to cross LA from one end to the other?).

Living in San Diego, most flights of any distance require crossing the LA airspace and 10.5/11.5 are it. Keeps us over the LA smog and the So Cal controllers.

Suresh

10000+

I'll echo what Docsuresh says about flying over LA class B airspace.

I started flying out of San Diego several years ago in a Cessna. Such a pain to deal with traffic and airspace restrictions on the way north. Since I finished my RV I make businsess trips regularly to San Francisco and use 10,500 feet as my minimum. That gets me over LAX airspace and, just as important to me, out of harms way of (most) certified airplanes at 9500 and below.

I don't like flight following, prefer XM radio in cruise, so altitude is a great safety factor for traffic. I always use Oxygen and find that gets me there rested and ready to go. Fuel burn is around 7 gph at the higher altitudes. Winds aloft is always a consideration and I will go low (after LA) if strong headwinds are blowing.

Ron
N8ZD
RV-4 / 400 hours and lovin it

I try to fly this

Generally, positive AGL preferred......:D

6K is the MEA to get over the local navaid.

I fly in the 5 to 10K region most of the time, even when away from the mountains.

Back