What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's your favorite aviation book?

My copy of "Always Another Dawn, the story of a ROCKET TEST PILOT" arrived and I am 109 pages into the book. I have not read a book that made me feel this personal - I don't know how to describe it - feeling. It is a wonderful book I'm sure but as I read Scott Crossfield's thoughts in this book with a 1960 copy write I know he died when his Cessna 210 broke up in flight in the same storm system I was circumnavigating VFR going to Asheville and Winston Salem not too long ago. I can't help but read it in that context - sad.

Pete send the latest version of the list. [email protected]

Bob Axsom

The last sentence in chapter 11 is haunting.

Bob Axsom

Always Another Dawn

I finished reading Scott Crossfield's 1960 book and I know a lot more about the X rocket planes of the 1940s and 50s. It is not a "fun book" but a very informative one. I paid $35 for a copy which was once the property of the Madison, Wisconsin public library.

Bob Axsom

Anyone have a copy of Sopwith Scout by P. G. Taylor

Anyone have a copy of Sopwith Scout by P. G. Taylor published in 1968 they would like to convert into $25 or so? I have searched for a copy ant the cheapest I can find is $136.

Bob Axsom

Stephen Coonts' new book "The Disciple"

If you read the "Flight of the Intruder" written by Stephen Coonts you know how well he tells the story of carrier operations and Naval Aviation. In his new book "The Disciple", which is a current day spy thriller dealing with Iran's nuclear threat, there is a section describing an F-18 mission that is told as only Mr. Coonts can tell it - which is to say special.

Bob Axsom

First, thanks for this discussion. Some the best books have been mentioned. Here are some that haven't been, but are nonetheless first-rate:

"The Fullness of Wings," by Gary Dorsey, describes the creation and flight of the man-powered aircraft that flew from Crete to Santorini. Non-fiction.

"The High Road to China," by Jon Cleary. Made into a movie. Fiction. Describes a flight from England to China.

"That's My Story," by Douglas Corrigan. Non-fiction. Wrong-Way Corrigan had a flight across the Atlantic that you might appreciate.

"Sagittarius Rising," by Cecil Lewis, describes flying in the first World War. It's lyrical. Non-fiction.

"Our Flight to Adventure," by Tay and Lowell Thomas, Jr. covers their trip to the middle east and Africa in a Cessna 180 in the early '50s. The book was one of the ones that got me started flying as a teenager, and I now own a Cessna 180. Non-fiction.

"The Flying Carpet," by Richard Halliburton, is pure adventure. Exciting reading to the teenager I was when I read it. Unfortunately is light on the flying and airplane end of things, but the adventure makes up for that. Non-fiction.

Finally, here's two books, both excellent, on building airplanes:

"Building Aeroplanes for 'Those Magnificent Men'," by Air Commodore Allen Wheeler. Need I say more? Non-fiction. And absolutely first-rate. Includes a discussion of the way the planes flew.

"Langley Memoir on Mechanical Flight," By Samuel Pierpont Langley and Charles M. Manly. Describes the development of the Langley Aerodrome. They discuss most details, why they were designed that way and how they were tested. This isn't a book of hindsight. It's a tale of development, and we all know how it ended. Non-fiction.

David Paule

"Langley Memoir on Mechanical Flight," By Samuel Pierpont Langley and Charles M. Manly. Describes the development of the Langley Aerodrome. They discuss most details, why they were designed that way and how they were tested. This isn't a book of hindsight. It's a tale of development, and we all know how it ended. Non-fiction. David Paule

That one is old enough to be out of copyright and available for dowload or reading online: http://www.archive.org/details/langleymemoironm00langrich

Very interesting reading...

--Paul

Should also include:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Alone-over-the-Tasman-Sea/Francis-B-Chichester/e/9780736612548

Link is to tapes.
Book is out of print - limited availability.
Synopsis

ALONE OVER THE TASMAN SEA is a story of Sir Francis Chichester's 1931 flight from New Zealand to Norfolk Island, Lord Howe Island and on to Sidney in a birdcage airplane, the wood and fiber de Havilland Moth.
In the 1930's, flight was still in its dangerous infancy. Chichester's trip, in which he had to find pin-speck islands in a remote and uncharted sea, tested not only his courage, resolution and stamina.
"For the things of which Francis Chichester writes are the things of man's old quest and spirit: danger and adventure and achievement, the sun and the wind, the many-launching waves and the steady thunder of seas on island beaches."
--------------------------------------
He developed a unique navigational method for hitting the two way points which were tiny islands where he needed to refuel. He crashed on one, rebuilt the airplane with local help and materials and continued the next year. He checked navigation with a sextant while at wave-top level, flying with his knees.

Alone Over The Tasman Sea

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Alone-over-the-Tasman-Sea/Francis-B-Chichester/e/9780736612548

Link is to tapes.
Book is out of print - limited availability.
Synopsis

ALONE OVER THE TASMAN SEA is a story of Sir Francis Chichester's 1931 flight from New Zealand to Norfolk Island, Lord Howe Island and on to Sidney in a birdcage airplane, the wood and fiber de Havilland Moth.
In the 1930's, flight was still in its dangerous infancy. Chichester's trip, in which he had to find pin-speck islands in a remote and uncharted sea, tested not only his courage, resolution and stamina.
"For the things of which Francis Chichester writes are the things of man's old quest and spirit: danger and adventure and achievement, the sun and the wind, the many-launching waves and the steady thunder of seas on island beaches."
--------------------------------------
He developed a unique navigational method for hitting the two way points which were tiny islands where he needed to refuel. He crashed on one, rebuilt the airplane with local help and materials and continued the next year. He checked navigation with a sextant while at wave-top level, flying with his knees.

Having read only of Francis Chichester's sailing records, it was fascinating to read what a pioneer he had been in developing navigation techniques for aviation. After his flight across the Tasman Sea, he went on in later life to teach navigation during the second World War, he won the first solo trans-Atlantic sailing race after having been diagnosed with lung cancer and given six months to live. His solo voyage around the world in 1966 is what brought him fame but you get the sense in his biography that all the skills acquired over an industrious lifetime were put to use in that one journey.

Song of the Sky

One-One by Dot Lemon.
Song of the Sky by Guy Murchie.
Anything by R. Bach.
Spirit of St. Louis
Chuck Yeager's Autobiography

Flight of Passage

I'm currently reading "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck.

It's a recently written memoir of a coast-to-coast flight in a PA-11 Cub flown by two teenage brothers, Rinker and Kern, in 1966. They had no radios on board, com or nav, and made their way West over land niether boy had ever seen, aided only by reference to sectional charts.

This story has me mesmerized. I am totaly taken in by the romantic adventure as I experience it with them.

Find a copy of this book and read it. You will love it.

Finally Found a copy of Sopwith Scout 7309 I could afford

After reading the recommendations for it here and searching for several months I found a copy of Sopwith Scout 7309 by P. G. Tayor for less than $100 I found one at www.abebooks.com from a seller in the UK. $72. They have several for not much more.

Bob Axsom

Alex Henshaw....

...the factory Spitfire test pilot, wrote "Sigh for a Merlin" that I couldn't put down....incredibly good read. Includes stories of vertical dives to 520 MPH IAS!!, tearing off radiator shrouds and so on, and IMC aerobatics on instruments:eek:

Lastly, Gen Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography, "I could never be so lucky again"
includes the B-25 raids on Japan and Sperry's development of the turn and bank and later the true AH with which he became the first pilot to take off, fly a pattern and land without ever seeing the ground. Great read.

Best,

Another Spitfire book

Pierre,
I have just re-read 'Sigh for a Merlin' (after 20 years) and so bought Geoffery Quills "Spitfire. A test Pilot's Story."
Quill did the Development and research testing as distinct from Henshaw who did the production testing.
Quill is in absolute awe of Henshaws ability at very low level aerobatics. There is only one movie clip of him doing low level aeros. See it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCmzYccyBYM

Quill tested the Spitfire for terminal velocity. That required fitting a feathering prop to avoid engine overspeed. The Spitfire reached Mach 0.9, due to it's very thin wings. Much faster than any other WWII fighter. As an indication of how fast this is, the last Boeing I flew, 777, had an MMO (Max Mach Operating) of 0.88.

Quill's book is also a great read.
Pete.

Thanks Peter.....

....beautiful footage indeed!

"The flight of the Mew Gull" is another great Henshaw story in setting the London-Cape Town-London record which was only broken last year in a homebuilt, after standing for 70 years!

Best,

Saw an interesting reference in (ex Colt's coach) Tony Dungy's book Quiet Strength. Tony's father was a Tuskegee Airman and Tony never knew it until his father's death in 2003. I found that amazing, although I know there were those who never said anything about the war. He must have been one of 'em. While Quiet Strength has nothing to do with aviation, it is a good read.

Bob Kelly

Pierre mentioned Gen Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography, "I could never be so lucky again." That is one of my favorites because he has such a unique and refreshing perspective on life and the tragedies that he endured. It's also interesting because he was born in the late 1800's and was alive for the whole Wright Brothers to Jets march.

"Illusions" is also good because it opens up the mind of the reader. I don't have the book or the quote handy but there is one in there that says to me that you have a blood family but you also have a spritual family that is connected to you not by blood but by other things like love of aviation, or shared experiences, or just some undefinable thing that instantly bonds two people and years and distance never diminishes. I've got several of those although the ties inmy blood family are much loser!

Kinda like ......

........I don't have the book or the quote handy but there is one in there that says to me that you have a blood family but you also have a spritual family that is connected to you not by blood but by other things like love of aviation, or shared experiences, or just some undefinable thing that instantly bonds two people and years and distance never diminishes.

.....the RV fraternity and this forum:)

Best,

I read it but I was disappointed

"Illusions" is also good because it opens up the mind of the reader. I don't have the book or the quote handy but there is one in there that says to me that you have a blood family but you also have a spritual family that is connected to you not by blood but by other things like love of aviation, or shared experiences, or just some undefinable thing that instantly bonds two people and years and distance never diminishes. I've got several of those although the ties inmy blood family are much loser!

I'm leaving myself open here but I read all of Richard Bach's books I believe and when I read "Illusions" many years ago it did nothing for me. It was made more disappointing because the rest of them I liked very much. Maybe I was too set in my ways by the time I read it - too darned old and closed minded to appreciate the formative message.

Bob Axsom

I have just re-read 'Sigh for a Merlin' (after 20 years) and so bought Geoffery Quills "Spitfire. A test Pilot's Story."
Quill did the Development and research testing as distinct from Henshaw who did the production testing.
Quill is in absolute awe of Henshaws ability at very low level aerobatics. There is only one movie clip of him doing low level aeros. See it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCmzYccyBYM

Thanks for the link. And just ordered both books!

Bob - I think for me connecting with "Illusions" had more to do with where I was in my life at the time than anything else. I was going through a divorce, stressed about my children, over worked at work and just struggling to get by day to day. Illusions opened my mind up to possibilities and allowed me for a few hours to leave reality behind. For some reason it let me see past the troubles in my life and dream of what laid beyond them.

18 years later things are great, and have been for most of those 18 years. I'm not saying Illusions caused that. It most certainly did not. But it did provide just a little relief at a tough time in my life.

"Johnathan Livingston Seagull" did however leave me flat!

If opposites attract we should be good friends

Bob - I think for me connecting with "Illusions" had more to do with where I was in my life at the time than anything else. I was going through a divorce, stressed about my children, over worked at work and just struggling to get by day to day. Illusions opened my mind up to possibilities and allowed me for a few hours to leave reality behind. For some reason it let me see past the troubles in my life and dream of what laid beyond them.

18 years later things are great, and have been for most of those 18 years. I'm not saying Illusions caused that. It most certainly did not. But it did provide just a little relief at a tough time in my life.

"Johnathan Livingston Seagull" did however leave me flat!

I know what you are saying - similar life changing experience - for me it was the movie "The Ipcress File" with Michael Caine that put some wind of possibilities in my sails.

However, I was entranced by Johnathan Livingston Seagull. Well we both put a few bucks in aviator Richard's pocket - that's a good thing.

Bob Axsom

The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann

I just started reading this book because of recommendations in this thread and I am already moved by honesty and style in it. As someone said it is not your usual propaganda pulp. The boy/man at the start was a student at Caltech (California Institute of Technology) in Pasadena when France fell at the start of WWII. That has special significance to any JPL worker since we were/are all employees of Caltech. Some of the most famous people in modern history have very personal connections with this autobiography.

Bob Axsom

Bob
Pierre Closterman wrote another book - Flames In The Sky.
It is a collection of short stories about various air actions in WWII, not stuff he was involved in.
A good book but niot as good as The Big Show.

Another excellent book from WWII is "Heaven Next Stop" by Gunther Bloemertz. A german pilot flying FW190's in France.
John

My new favorite is

Air Vagabonds by Anthony Vallone.
A collection of stories by ferry pilots delivering GA airplanes across the world in the 70s and 80s. That line between "courage" and "completely out of their minds" - these guys straddle that throughout the book. Recommend.

To Fly and Flight by Bud Anderson.
Met him a few times, truly a great guy and real live hero.

little known

picke it up at sun n fun several years ago

"Black Falcon"

very good

Pylon by William Faulkner

I'm currently reading The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann which is becoming a favorite. In it he states, "This morning we had a visit from William Faulkner ... The great writer was a big aviation enthusiast. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Flying Corps in 1917 as a pilot, and one of his best books, Pylon, tells the life story of pilots in the closed-circuit races prior to 1940 such as the Thompson Trophy or the Bendix."

William Faulkner was required reading at Saint Louis' Washington University in the 1960s but I never knew of "Pylon". I had to stop and check with Amazon.com and sure enough they had it in stock. It is now on order along with a Mystic Moods Orchestra CD "More than Music" containing the theme song from the 1966 movie Grand Prix.

Bob Axsom

"Nothing by Chance" Richard Bach (The Jonathan Livingston Seagull dude)
A group of friends head out across America's heartland in the early 1960's to see if it is possible to make a go of barnstorming. It makes you want to chuck your day job and hit the sky for adventure...

Last edited:
Biplane...By R. Bach not only becuase is superb reading but because the story originates in Lumberton, NC. I can just close my eyes and imagine.......

More great reads

Think Like a Bird: An Army Pilot's Story (Alex Kimbell). Just wonderful but maybe difficult to find this side of the pond.

Chicken Hawk (Robert Mason) - As the cover describes it so well, "a stunning book about the right stuff in the wrong war". My copy is held together with tape it has been read so many times.

Vulcan 607 (Rowland Whte) - Recounts the RAF Vulcan raid on Port Stanley during the Falklands war. Epic tale.

Not Much of an Engineer. (Sir Stanley Hooker). Hooker was responsible for supercharger development of the Merlin and went on to become one of the key figures in the success of Rolls Royce jet engines. Wonderful book.

Chicken Hawk (Robert Mason) - As the cover describes it so well, "a stunning book about the right stuff in the wrong war". My copy is held together with tape it has been read so many times.

Vulcan 607 (Rowland Whte) - Recounts the RAF Vulcan raid on Port Stanley during the Falklands war. Epic tale.

+1 on Chicken Hawk - great book.

Just ordered Vulcan 607.

Love this thread. Just finished reading "Sigh for a Merlin" and "Spitfire - a test pilot's story". Both good reads. In Quill's book, he mentions "Evidence in Camera" by Costance Babington Smith which is about photo recon during
WW2. I'm reading that now. I wouldn't consider it as good as Henshaw's or Quill's books, but still a very good story about a topic not often covered.

Spitfire - the rest of story

I read "Sigh for a Merlin" by Alex Henshaw and "Spitfire a Test Pilot's Story" by Jeffery Quill. They are both great books from the development and test perspective and one comes away with a good feel for the full range of Spitfires produced and appreciation for the difference in capabilities. Then I started reading Pierre Closterman's "The Big Show" with no thought of a continuing spitfire theme. It is a very personal book that without trying lays it out in very raw terms how this collection of Spitfire models worked out in combat. He has no respect for Americans or the 8th Air Force but if you can get over that it is a special book that completes the Spitfire story.

Bob Axsom

Designed for a job.

full range of Spitfires produced and appreciation for the difference in capabilities.
Bob Axsom

As you say, those two books cover all the marks of Spits and what they were capable of. They had their limits, which of course was largely determined by the fact that they were designed as short range 'Interceptors' with less than an hour endurance.
By contrast, the Thunderbolt had a totally different capability. It was huge, powerful, very heavily armed. Bob Johnson's equally excellent "Thunderbolt' reveals the difference to the Spit when he describes how he happened upon a Spit one evening over England and was enticed in a max climb competition. He says the Spit just climbed away like a home sick angel.
How beautiful it is that such authors can take us into the cockpit of aircraft we will never fly.

Too ever who recommended 'Thunderbolt' on this post, thank you.

Pete.

Van's RV-9 Construction Manual...can't wait to be done with it though.

Oh, yeah also "The Right Stuff" - Chuck Yeager

Illusions - Richard Bach (except I kept walking into walls afterwards though)

Pylon by William Faulkner, not one of my favorites

I'm currently reading The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann which is becoming a favorite. In it he states, "This morning we had a visit from William Faulkner ... The great writer was a big aviation enthusiast. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Flying Corps in 1917 as a pilot, and one of his best books, Pylon, tells the life story of pilots in the closed-circuit races prior to 1940 such as the Thompson Trophy or the Bendix."

William Faulkner was required reading at Saint Louis' Washington University in the 1960s but I never knew of "Pylon". I had to stop and check with Amazon.com and sure enough they had it in stock. It is now on order along with a Mystic Moods Orchestra CD "More than Music" containing the theme song from the 1966 movie Grand Prix.

Bob Axsom

I read "Pylon" but I did not find it very satisfying. It is more about people hanging on to a dream during the depression from the perspective of an alcoholic reporter than about flying.

Bob Axsom

Fighter Pilot - The Memoirs os Legendary Ace Robin Olds

This is a new book copyrighted this year, 2010. I am just starting into it but what I see holds a lot of promise.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Two more!

I need to add two more books to my list; "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbott and van Doenhoff and "Theory of Flight" by von Mises! Actually, there's a bunch more I rely on!

I recommend Flying Through Midnight

Written by J.T. Halliday about his experience flying C-123s over Laos. Great book.

Back