What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel balance weight location and attachment

sparkcrafter

I’m building an RV-12iS with the upgraded Grove wheels and brakes. I have the harbor freight wheel balancer and have used it to determine how much weight I’ll need to add (about 1.5 ounces in my case). When attaching the weights to the wheel, should I split the total weight in two and place half inside the brake rotor and half on the outer wheel hub, or just not worry about splitting the weight?

Are there any issues placing the weights inside the brake rotor?

I’ve seen RTV and proseal mentioned for adhering the weights to the wheel. Any recommendations on best practices for adhering the weights?

Jerald

I’m building an RV-12iS with the upgraded Grove wheels and brakes. I have the harbor freight wheel balancer and have used it to determine how much weight I’ll need to add (about 1.5 ounces in my case). When attaching the weights to the wheel, should I split the total weight in two and place half inside the brake rotor and half on the outer wheel hub, or just not worry about splitting the weight?

Are there any issues placing the weights inside the brake rotor?

I’ve seen RTV and proseal mentioned for adhering the weights to the wheel. Any recommendations on best practices for adhering the weights?

Jerald

Doesn't matter. The weights offset a radial imbalance, not axial. Therefore, it doesn't matter where they sit on the cross sectional line of the wheel. Weights don't get a lot of stress, as centrifugal force is pushing them tighter against the adhesive. Most weight kits will include adhesive tape and will work fine. Just be sure to clean the wheel surface very well.

Last edited:
I bought a similar wheel balancer from Amazon.

I bought a similar wheel balancer from Amazon. Identical to HF. The bearings felt like there was grit in them and had to be replaced. The shaft was not straight and was replaced. The one Cone was not drilled true and was taken in and trued out at the machine shop. Can't say I was impressed.

In the end I did balance my wheels and so smooth on touch and go's.

But when I slow down the harmonics set up and my gear is shaking.....

Balance weights

Motorcycle shops sell balance weights with self adhesive. Works good and lasts a long time.

Back