What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carrying the Torch

Reading Paul's history was like wow, there are so many parallels, it was sort of spooky really.

Twins, separated at birth?:D

My "old guy" story. Shortly after returning to flying several years ago (after a significant hiatus), we flew our 172 over the hill to Grass Valley, CA to visit Julia's great uncle, who was turning 99 at the time. Our birthday present to him was to take him flying (we were flying a 172 at the time, just as well because he was too frail to get into an RV). I took him up for a view of the area and, knowing he was a pilot, asked if he would like to take the controls for a while. He flew for a while, then we came back and landed. Not exactly an RV grin, but he was the happiest we had seen him in the years since his wife had died. Back at the house, he pulled out his old logbooks and was able to describe every plane he had ever flown, the last being in the early 1950s. The sad part of the story is that he had quit flying because his life insurance company would no longer cover him if he continued doing so.

I felt very privileged getting to fly with a guy that had last flown a small plane before I was born!

greg

Back