What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move day...last sunday

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Well last Sunday was the big Move day. Came about a year earlier than I planned due to we bought a new house and didn't want to move the plane twice in a year. I also have spent the last month or so building a hangar door with the a help of a friend at the airport. (it doesn't take that long, but I was very busy and only could get to the airport once or twice a week to work on it) Was a lot a work, but worth it in the end. Bought the hangar door hardware in instructions from The Ulitmate Hangar Door.

After looking around for trailers to borrow I ended up renting a 26' Uhaul truck and was able to get the wings and fuse transported in one trip...but I forgot to get pics of that.

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

The big move

Hi Ryan,
Nice facility. I'm about to move mine which is just about the same config. How did you load the fuselage into the U-Haul? Is the hydraulic lift the way to go? Thanks for the help and speaking of help how many folks did it take to load the plane and unload it? I would like to learn from your experience.
Thanks for any advice,
Jerry:)

In the Uhaul I first loaded the wings that are in the cradle..see pic. then I loaded the fuse tail first until there was enough clearance to close the door without hitting the nose. Plently of room. I straped everything down with ratchet tie downs (8 of them). A friend of mine happened to have a set of 2x8 x 10ft wooden ramps...I used the two ramps for the wheels and rolled up the fuse, which was the tricky part. Not much room for err. 3 people involved, my wife guiding the tail and me and another builder on each leg pushing up the ramp, making sure enough clearance on the ramp was there. Unloading was easy...took not even 10mins to unload. Also, I parked the Uhaul at the bottom of my drive so that the hieght of the truck was lower to the ground. did that same at the airport for unload... Would have been even easier with a tommy lift gate. Hope that helps..good luck

Back