What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Fun - Things You Might not do with Ordinary Planes

I know a guy who has a lot of confidence. When he had a Cheyenne he told me the story about feathering one engine and passing his buddy with a Baron. His accountant told him he shouldn't have a Cheyenne so he traded for a late model 6 seat Bonanza. I happened to be flying one day and flew over his private strip, noticing that he was getting ready to depart.

I throttled back to stay with him in the climb on the way to one of his mountain get-aways. When we leveled off I went on ahead and performed some sort of exuberant maneuver after passing him. He later told me he didn't want to say anything on the air, so as to not embarrass me, but he thought I wasn't being safe. Well I knew being passed, emphatically (with a couple of his buddies onboard), with this little cheap homemade airplane was not going to sit well.

The next time I saw him he had a King Air.

Last edited:
I know a guy who has a lot of confidence. When he had a Cheyenne he told me the story about feathering one engine and passing his buddy with a Baron. His accountant told him he shouldn't have a Cheyenne so he traded for a late model 6 seat Bonanza. I happened to be flying one day and flew over his private strip, noticing that he was getting ready to depart.

I throttled back to stay with him in the climb on the way to one of his mountain get-aways. When we leveled off I went on ahead and performed some sort of exuberant maneuver after passing him. He later told me he didn't want to say anything on the air, so as to not embarrass me, but he thought I wasn't being safe. Well I knew being passed, emphatically (with a couple of his buddies onboard), with this little cheap homemade airplane was not going to sit well.

The next time I saw him he had a King Air.

Shouda told him it's hard for us to hit, when you can't keep up.

Fun things to do

Here are some fun things to do with an RV:

KnifeEdge2.jpg

FormTO.jpg

TopsyTurvey2.jpg

Pat

Many years ago, I'd just been released by Joshua Approach to contact William J. Fox Field (where I learned to fly and still do). I was descending out of 10.5K for 3.5K, straight in approach, at top of the yellow arc in nice, smooth air.

I was about 17 nm out when I checked in, and Fox followed with "...Plan on #1 for the runway". A Baron called in right after me reporting that he was 10nm out for landing. The tower replied back, "...Plan on #2 for the runway."

The Baron shot back immediately, "You do know that I'm less than 10nm out now", and the Tower didn't miss a beat: "Yes, I do (pause...) And you can still plan on landing #2 behind the RV".

I was on the ground when he entered the downwind :D Rosie

:D:D:D

Nothing new after reading these posts but flying into STL to catch a smoker to New York I was told to slow down for the jet traffic ahead. They had closed the parallel that is usually used for GA and I was maybe a little too exuberant in trying not to hold up following traffic and fit in with the big boys.

Following number 2 behind a Bonanza out of RFD, couple minutes after take off, ATC calls the Bo as traffic, my reply was "traffic in sight, no factor, he's a 1000 feet below and a half mile back".

Standard RV stuff but big smile days for sure.

Passing on the outside

There nothing better then passing a Mooney on the outside of the departure turn right after take off :D

Other side of the envelope

Going fast is fun... But I can also fly formation with a buddy's J-3 Cub at 65mph and burn about the same gph!
Try that in a Lancair!

Best of all, you are not spending vast majority of your time on the ground fixing these birds. In two and half years and 380+ hours I have on my bird, I have had only very minor issues to deal with and annuals have gone without any issues.

Today I was in the pattern at KAFW for the option on 16R. On 16L a Seneca was taking off as I crossed the threshold. After I touched down and pushed the power back i noticed the Seneca was already airborne. Once I had my flaps up I was surprised to see I was catching him and above him! I was abeam him and at least 200 feet above him as I reached and pattern altitude and turned right crosswind! I new the RV 10 was fast and climbed great but seeing how much faster and better climb rate compared to the Seneca was still a kick and a surprise!!!

I love the performance, useful load, and economy!

A Christmas Story (or "How I almost Shot Down Santa Claus")

A Christmas Story (or "How I almost Shot Down Santa Claus")

'Twas the day before Christmas
and all through the sky
only a few of us were flying
as Christmas was nigh

The controllers were snug
in their towers so high
in hopes that some pilots
would come out to fly

So up, up I went into the burning blue
strapped in my cockpit and looking for clues
as which way to go, for the weather was changing
I turned first to the north,
but found it was raining
So southward I went, where
I could see it was clearing

Not long was I established on my course in the clear
when the tower controller called me over the air
asking "Experimental aircraft, say your position?"
but my reply only added to his confusion
so he said "check behind you, there is a small craft
gaining on you rapidly in an updraft
on collision course, so you better check quick!"

At that time I banked fast after moving the stick
to a 4-G hard turn, and that did the trick
and what should I see approaching from behind
but a flying machine of radical design

'twas a sleigh, open cockpit, two seats side-by-side
and a powerplant of reindeer - brown were their hides
with a pilot clad in red with some white I think
cracking his whip for more power, as he did in a blink

But there was no time to gape at this vision just then
because he was coming around in a bend
coming hard in a turn he was gaining rapidly
pulling behind me with a gleam in his eye almost savagely

"It's a dogfight he wants!", to myself I yelled
"then that's what he'll get!", and then my thoughts gelled
of high maneuvers, as in the olden days,
when Aces wracked their planes around in unusual ways

I gave him a hard turn, a loop and a roll
but he followed me as if I were stuck in a hole
I wracked it around, as if on a turntable
and then I surprised him and suddenly went vertical

That one left him behind, perplexed, in despair
for it seemed I had dissappeared into thin air
And then I reversed, came back down in a flash
was behind him, turning, coming around with great dash

I had him then, dead to rights
I started pulling in to get him into my sights
and to press on the button and say into the mike
"you're mine, Santa Claus, you're a beautiful sight!"

(You can run but you can't hide...)

When all of a sudden, there came back in his wake
eight tiny reindeer poo's, I was afraid it might take
my canopy off, but I dodged most adriotly
and avoided the 'splat' that would be most unsightly

I dodged to the left, I dodged to the right
the reindeer's were poo-ing with all of their might
up and over and across my wings the poo's did fly
but I managed to miss them all, and then with a sigh
I saw he was cracking his whip with such might
he was pulling away, into the heights

He got away, of course, and left me behind
into cloud he disappeared, in a short period of time
But for a moment, I'd had him, and he knew it too
and he got away only because of his reindeer's poo

That I'd won the dogfight it was perfectly clear
but flying home I can't say that I grinned ear to ear
as there was no proof that I'd had Santa Claus
square in my sights with nary a pause

When I landed and put the airplane to bed for the night
to the restroom I trudged as the typical plight
of a pilot long airborne, and short as we say
on time and relief in the usual way

But walking back to my plane somewhat later
occurred an event I can hardly relate here

I saw on my plane, near the cockpit right there
A small red sleigh had been painted with care
as a victory mark, it seemed, like the aces of old
when they had won a dogfight with maneuvers so bold

As I stood there and gaped at this amazing sight
I heard such a clamor off to my right
on runway 34 was a sound so near
of Santa, his whip, and eight tiny reindeer

Then he took off from the runway and into the night, calling
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good dogfight!"

(I wrote this several years ago after a Christmas dogfight with some other RV pals. The muse came, the muse went ... never written anything like it before or since. Hope everyone who's tail-chased gets a laugh out of it! That's what the RV life does: inspires us to do stuff we never dreamed we could...)

Steven
RV3 700hrs
RV grin forever :)

yeah.. how DO you do that.. if im 2 or 3 miles from the turn to downwind and more than 130mph even a few hundred over pattern altitude i'll never be able to make a reasonably distanced turn to base without being at 100+ over the numbers. fixed pitch catto cruise prop RV-9A. I have to extend a whole bunch and i'll be power off at downwind.
(sorry to hijack the thread)

For sure! How do you do it? I've heard the fixed-pitch RVs have trouble slowing down?

yeah.. how DO you do that.. if im 2 or 3 miles from the turn to downwind and more than 130mph even a few hundred over pattern altitude i'll never be able to make a reasonably distanced turn to base without being at 100+ over the numbers. fixed pitch catto cruise prop RV-9A. I have to extend a whole bunch and i'll be power off at downwind.
(sorry to hijack the thread)

Constant speed props make excellent air brakes.

How I do it

I am no expert pilot, but I dont have any trouble slowing down a fixed pitch prop RV on final.

If I am straight in, I start lower than the glide path and fast, pull the throttle, and hold my altitude until I slow to 100kts, then add a notch of flaps. I drift well above the glide slope. I keep adding flaps. I end up high and at about 55 to 60 kts. In this config the plane will drop like a rock. I will need to measure the distance this takes but it is less than two miles to go from 150kts to 55kts. These planes are amazing!

My disclamer;
Please practice this at altitude before trying it in the pattern. Be very familiar with stalls and slow flight. The change in speed is deceptive and you will feel you are way too slow. The feel of the plane and the GRT will warn me of the stall. I have familiarized myself with it's function and accuracy in many attitudes. Don't do this in gusty conditions.

If coming in fast on a base, just square off your turn to final and let the G's slow you down. Again watch your speed.

... In this config the plane will drop like a rock...
While that works with a -6, the -9 is a bit more of a challenge. At 55 to 60 knots you are only coming down around 400 - 500 FPM. Slowing more will help in the -9 but make sure you know your airplane before trying this.

Without a CS prop, I found loading up the plane in the turns really help slow it down to flap speed. Then slip it, as needed. You can slip it while holding altitude and that will drop your speed pretty good. Just don't drop yourself.

Practice at altitude! You do not want to get into a cross control stall close to the ground.

One thing that I can do with the 180 HP -9 that puts a smile on my face every time is my reply to this:

Controller: RV one Whiskey Romeo, state direction of flight.
1WR: Up.
Controller: One Whiskey Romeo, how to plan on exiting the Class Delta?
1WR: Out the top. :D

Fun in the -4

With 6 months and 100 hours in my 150hp, fixed pitch RV-4, I've had more fun and satisfaction than I can account for. One fun story comes to mind, though, from a flight into the local Class Charlie airport:

Shortly after checking in, I heard the controller clear a Bonanza to land. The Bonanza and I were approaching on opposite base legs to the same runway, both still several miles out. After a short pause, the controller said to me "RV, can you extend your pattern or slow down? You're gaining on the Bonanza at over 90 kts." I happily obliged. Granted, the winds were in my favor that evening, but the grin lasted for days.

A funny counterpoint: A few years ago I was flying into 40kt headwinds in my Cessna 140 through another class C. This was my dialog with the controller:

Controller: "140, can you see the interstate below?", referring to a stretch of I-80 that paralleled my route.

Me: "Affirmative."

Controller: "140, can you see the traffic on the interstate?"

Controller: "140, is that traffic moving faster than you are?"

Me: sigh... (I didn't yet have my RV!)

I guess both experiences have helped me appreciate the other in some way.

m

In tight spot over a river between Bravos, I never fly fast :D

LGA; N666BK what kind of experimental are you?

me; Vans Aircraft ... 6BK...

LGA; Are you a jet..... or prop....?

me; prop...

LGA; ok proceed as requested. What's your maximum speed?

me; .....200 :D

SLC

Flying out of SLC I was taxiing to 35 when the tower asked if I could take 32. Not normally used I said, "sure". They said turn left to heading 360 after takeoff. Well during roll-out they called back and asked if I can do a left 270 around the tower and exit eastbound. I said, "you bet"!
I met some of the tower guys a couple of weeks earlier during a Utah Business Aviation Association meeting. They asked me all the tail numbers I flew and were most interested in my RV-10. I think they remembered me when I taxied out and just wanted to see the airplane. I bet the airliners thought I was crazy when circling over the terminals over SLC just outside the tower windows. I should have asked if I spilled their coffee.:rolleyes:

Green instructor and a ride in a 4

While chasing parts at Redding Ca and a CFI in the back seat, along for the ride one spring morning. We took off and headed south at tree top level, following the river. The young man looked up ahead at the 180 degree turn in this river and said, "ain't no way you can make that turn". He ate those words for lunch and a month later owned his own RV4

In tight spot over a river between Bravos, I never fly fast :D

LGA; N666BK what kind of experimental are you?

me; Vans Aircraft ... 6BK...

LGA; Are you a jet..... or prop....?

me; prop...

LGA; ok proceed as requested. What's your maximum speed?

me; .....200 :D

you're quoting 200kt maximum speeds? I don't think they're asking for Vne

Shock cooling?

Indeed. I have been 180kts TAS on downwind abeam the departure end at my home field and landed with no problem at all with close in base to final turn.

When I am faster than something like 120 kts, entering the pattern, I will not be able to slow down to 60 kts on final, without the Dynon EMS shouting "shock cooling" at me! How do you guys do that, just close the throtle and forget about your cylinders?

Regards, Tonny.

Just a few days ago heading back to my home airport, I made my call 8 miles out for runway 23 and there was another Diamond who made the same call for 8 miles out and we were agreed I go first.

When I made my call ?clear 23? he was still on his 45.

When I am faster than something like 120 kts, entering the pattern, I will not be able to slow down to 60 kts on final, without the Dynon EMS shouting "shock cooling" at me! How do you guys do that, just close the throtle and forget about your cylinders?

Regards, Tonny.

I personally think the fear of shock cooling a normally aspirated Lycoming engine is a little overblown. I'm not an engine tech or expert by any means, just basing this on my own personal experience, so take it for what it's worth. Although I will say all the mechanics in aerobatics I have known have never seemed to think it was an issue.

I have probably 1500 or more hours with higher compression Lycoming engines, maybe 300 or 400 of those hours actually flying aerobatics where I routinely went from full power to full idle quite a few times every flight. I've never cracked a cylinder. In all the eighteen years with the IAC I personally am unaware of anyone ever having a problem with shock cooling. It may have happened, but it's extremely rare if it does.
Yes, we tear up bearings regularly and sometimes and crack or even break crankshafts, but in my experience our cylinders seem to hold up to far more abuse than they would ever get in most RV's in a lifetime.

I think turbocharged engines are the ones to watch with shock cooling. And maybe Continentals, never have seen one of those in a serious acro mount!:)

Again, I am certainly no expert, but I have seen these engines abused routinely. Done it myself! They are amazingly tough.

Fast Flight Home

After Oshkosh 2010, my wife wanted to visit Macinaw Island, so we flew up the western shore of Lake Michigan and landed at St. Ignace in the UP where we stayed a couple of days. We left at 7:30AM Central Time and flew directly south through Michigan with a good tailwind. We stopped at Marshall in sothern MI for fuel and potty break. Took off south and had to detour into Ohio to avoid incoming storms from the west over Ft. Wayne, IN. I was seeing 220 kts on the GPS! We then turned southwest and landed at home in Bowling Green, KY, refuled the plane, wiped off the bugs and pushed it into the hanger. Then went across the street for lunch. We were sitting at our table at 12:30 PM Central! Probably 825 miles and a fuel stop in less than five hours! We love our RV-9A!

Got to get me one of those!

Love the stories. Still planning but these are certainly motivational!:D

I took a family of four for a demo flight today (not all at the same time, of course!) Mom wanted the smooth air, straight and level flight to look at the snow-tipped mountains. Dad wanted to feel stalls and get a little stick time. Two daughters, ages 14 and 20, wanted to do loops and rolls:D.

As we finished our various flights and began the descent back to the airport from about 6000' down to pattern altitude of 1200', we were travelling at about 2300rpm / 18" at about 150 mph straight and level. Beginning the descent, I left power alone and pushed the nose over for about a 1000FPM descent. Pointing out the Airspeed, we watched it climb from 150 mph to 200 mph without touching the throttle! The Dynon showed that we were getting about 31 mpg!

I expect some interesting conversations when I start flying my Experimental. Model of aircraft is: "Air Force 1", serial number is AF1, paint job is air force one.

I have already won two cases of beer on bets. Ones like "I own Air Force 1" and "The president has to ask MY permission to fly in Air Force One.". I am sure I will think up some new ones as I go along like "I built Air Force One all by mysef" or "I landed Air Force One on only one engine".

Giving a ride to a spam can driver.
At the end of the runway climbing out at 30 degrees and maintaining it to pattern alt. They are always amazed and want to learn more about RV's.

Last edited:
Expedite

Heard this yesterday.....RV327DG, Please expedite climb to 7,000. You're rapidly overtaking the Cessna in front of you.
Didn't take long to get there

With 6 months and 100 hours in my 150hp, fixed pitch RV-4, I've had more fun and satisfaction than I can account for. One fun story comes to mind, though, from a flight into the local Class Charlie airport:

Shortly after checking in, I heard the controller clear a Bonanza to land. The Bonanza and I were approaching on opposite base legs to the same runway, both still several miles out. After a short pause, the controller said to me "RV, can you extend your pattern or slow down? You're gaining on the Bonanza at over 90 kts." I happily obliged. Granted, the winds were in my favor that evening, but the grin lasted for days.

A funny counterpoint: A few years ago I was flying into 40kt headwinds in my Cessna 140 through another class C. This was my dialog with the controller:

Controller: "140, can you see the interstate below?", referring to a stretch of I-80 that paralleled my route.

Controller: "140, can you see the traffic on the interstate?"

Controller: "140, is that traffic moving faster than you are?"

Me: sigh... (I didn't yet have my RV!)

I guess both experiences have helped me appreciate the other in some way.

m

I had a similar experience in a Grumman Cheetah years ago on an IFR from LUK to SRQ. Coming over the mountains at 9,000' onto a terrible headwind I was doing about 60kts over the ground. This was at about 2am, you know how bored ATC can get late at night. Center calls me up "Grumman 08U traffic for you 6 o'clock 2,000 feet below and gaining on you......never mind that's just a truck on the highway"

No problem with that now.

Back