What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tony T's RV-12 Rudder Gust Lock...

TomVal

Well Known Member
Thanks Tony!

photo-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ohoho Tom... It looks like a Russian design have you seen wind tunnel comparison tests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22PsQyI2kA&feature=youtu.be :D

HaHaHa! I totally forgot about about your laboratory evaluation of said device. I have taken top secret additional precautions. First of all, my gust lock serves just a single purpose...to hold the rudder assembly only. Secondly, I have aerospace quality insulation materials inserted in strategic locations in said device to absorb any vibrations transmitted back to the pedal assembly during high wind loading conditions, thus assuring the device would remain in place when subjected to the forces of most commercially available leaf blowers. Thirdly, my rudder is properly attached to the airframe with all hardware as specified in the KAI. Fourth...my hull insurance is current. And lastly...just in case, I keep a For Sale listing at the ready to post...Completed RV12 Minus the Rudder, Available for Sale :D

Ok I think I got it, at least on the CCCP version.

Watched the KGB film. Hey they speak English on it! Good lock design and cheap although I guess it takes hours to make. Their lock end that attaches to the control stick appears to be aligned with the stick. Boy, the agent they had operating the wind simulator sure was scary.:eek:

Can you post a photo with the lock installed. Not understanding how the end fittings attach unless they swivel. :confused: Looks like a nice lightweight gust lock. :)

This is a slight deviation from Tony T's design. The photo shows the lock installed. At the rudder pedal end, the T's have weather stripping inserts (left over from the RV12 Canopy Seal Kit). On the opposite end, I just have some fuzzy velcro on the T to protect the interior paint. So between the T's, there is a nice compression fit between the rudder pedals and vertical wall of the seat deck.

This has not gone through extensive CCCP testing. So I would not classify this device in the TSO'd category of approved equipment.:D

Regards,

Last edited:
Ok, on rudder gust locks. I bought one of the high dollar units from anti splat. installed it correctly. had my plane parked at HEN (henderson NV). big wind storm, 50-60 MPH gusts, and guess what? It didn't work. the bottom of the gust lock had disengaged from the rudder pedals, with evidence that aileron and elevator deflection had flexed the gust lock enough for it to come loose. my rudder was slammed into the elevators leaving dents in the rudder and a tweeked elevator. fortunately, i didn't have the plane painted yet, and it was repairable.

Bottom line. Don't trust a single gust lock to hold everything in place. what the demonstration video shows you is a heavy consistent wind pointed only at the rudder, not real wind gusts affecting all the flight controls simultaneously.

The only sure fix is external locks on all the controls and possibly the internal lock on the rudder. For right now, the plane is safely tucked away in my hangar at MKC. no more tie-down parking until I come up with a better system.

Not sure how effective it would be, but I usually buckle the lap belt around the stick grip to hold the flaperons and stabilator. Thinking that is not the best practice, I am gonna try a simple bungee cord going from the support bar behind the seats, around the stick grip and then back to the support bar. Pretty simple and will allow some movement of the stick if it's super gusty. I have an externa air gizmo gust lock that works on the rudder or the flaperons too. Have to be careful on placemt of that thing as not place it in a vulnerable no rib section.

Last edited:
An advantage of control locks located inside the cockpit (and obviously in sight when entering the cockpit) is that you are unlikely to forget to remove them prior to flight. External flight locks can be forgotten -- I know it would never happen to one of us'ns :rolleyes:, but it has happened many times to others with typically disasterous results.

Rudder gust lock

This is a slight deviation from Tony T's design. The photo shows the lock installed.

Ok now if I understand it correctly, it's a rudder gust lock only and doesn't connect to the control stick?
Seems like most of the DYI locks try to combine the rudder pedals and the stick in one unit which is hard when both parts move independently. Yours along with a seat belt tightened around the stick would be pretty effective . I like it.

Back