What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First time on full power. The -7 is soon ready for first flight!

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi gang.

A couple of days ago, it was time for the last item on the ground testing phase on my new -7: engine runup and full power test.

It all went well and here's some pics.
Sorry for the VERY poor quality, but at least you''ll see the numbers and get the big picture.

Here's right after start:

141txk3.jpg

After the CHT's came up, everything was looking good, so it was time for the first taxi:

s41kyp.jpg

As for the first start a few days ago, we had a firetruck tailing us just in case:

mjy4uo.jpg

After a few mins, we arrived safely at holding:

33ynqsm.jpg

2qmm64p.jpg

Then it was time for the very first run-up:

o9bc.jpg

Everything was still looking good, so it was time for the final test: full power.
First the big guys needed to get of of the way:

2v2url0.jpg

Then we where cleared onto the RWY, so it was time to let the -7 enter an active RWY for the very first time:

2h4f2tf.jpg

Let the show begin:

15q2np0.jpg

Here's pic during the 3-4 sek on full power:

2m4skmx.jpg

I didn't want to end up with high speed taxi, so I retarded the throttle when we hit about 20 KIAS.
The lyc accellerated up to 2700 RPM without hesitation, the accelleration was very quick since we where light weight (only about 40 litres with fuel) and the plane felt very much like my other -7.

As you'll see, everything looks good except the oil press. It's alittle high, so I've now turned the adjustment screw 2 full turns CCW. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

I have also adjusted the EFIS set up alittle so the EGT and CHT columns will show up earlier.
The Master Caution panel also needs some adjustment so it'll show correct amp readings and high/low volt warning light.
Hopefully all this will be OK during the last startup, so now it's time to complete the paperwork and wait for the final inspection.

Now it's time for a VERY WELL earned Christmas Holiday for my building team and myself....

Last edited:
Congratulations, Alf! That's really great! Did you get any funny comments, after running around with no wing tips and a naked engine?

Well, the one of the firetruck-crew said; what a qute little airplane... :D

Reason for the naked engine was to improve cooling, and reason for the missing wingtips and covers is that all these are to be off during the inspection from "Luftfartstilsynet" (equal to FAA) during their final inspection.

So in order to save myself for alot of "screw-excercise" (hehe...) I'm waiting with those installations.

BTW: the same firecrew guy had a little different angle after we had taxied in and shut down: "WOOOW!!!" you guys accellerated so quickly so there was NO WAY our firetruck could match that! What kind of engine do you have in that plane??"

If your oil temp is F then you will find that when it is in a more normal range your pressure will drop quite a bit.

George

Good point George. Thanks!

And yes; the oil temp is in F*.
(The same goes for CHT's and EGT's BTW.)

Congratulations on the test run, and the comment is right on about your oil pressure, it will be fine when the oil temp comes up.

This is a great accomplishment, and that fact this is your second build .... All I can say is Wow

Back