What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Travel to PNW

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
Day one plan to stop in the middle for some visiting.
b434460429f5a48a56351baf8f409ff3.jpg

Day next. Wander north ending up at AWO for turkey day.
e2a5d5e75551aba7e9cc574c594bc022.jpg

Hoping the wx looks clear, just like here on the map. It helps that I turn off the radar image.

We'll be at AWO for the week, so if any Blackjacks want to fly......I'm all over it.

The wx is here, I wish you......

Looks like a Sat departure is the wise choice. We'll stop in beautiful Mariposa to visit friends over in Ahawhnee, then N towards AWO with a stop in PWT to visit friends in Poulsbo.

Rain, rain go away
e92449ad3e07f14fc50ddb63a9c3c32d.jpg

The reason we stayed in Tucson yesterday....
null_zps003f5e1c.jpg

null_zpsdb8e5f0c.jpg

Today was better, but not cavu, this buildup is on top of PHX
null_zpsc14f1b86.jpg

Here is Big Bear
null_zps59d0ccc2.jpg

Looking west from Medford
null_zpsc6d7bbaa.jpg

All tied down snug in Cottage Grove OR.
If you haven't been here, put it on the list.

Cool approach with a nice creek on final.
Walk across the street to an awesome Hotel. Complete with restaurant, lounge, and fireplaces in the rooms. Sweet.
null_zps644f6d3c.jpg

null_zpscd669045.jpg

Skip enjoying the cool wrought iron bed
null_zps7fa4c773.jpg

Popsicle toes

So, after thawing out and heating up the engine too, we got out of Cottage Grove. We didn't have far to go now so we headed west to the coast to enjoy a rare fog free ride up the Pacific.
null_zps23a29b30.jpg

Astoria
null_zpsc27b4841.jpg

Copalis, open in the summertime
null_zps52286819.jpg

The Olympics to our left
null_zpsb6ac0bdc.jpg

The Cascades and Mt Rainier to the right
null_zps05412d0a.jpg

First stop was PWT to see friends in Poulsbo.
null_zpsb22fbf1d.jpg

Black Butte Porter taunts Pop Tart. No more flying today.
null_zpsba38aa67.jpg

The next morning we were anticipating a cold soaked plane again, but happily it was warmer here than Cottage Grove.

We took a detour from PWT to AWO and dropped into S Whidbey Island and the coolest little coffee shop -restaurant, Mukilteo Roasters. It's right on the airport, just a short walk through the trees and mossy PNW ground I remember so well.
null_zpse2f4bfa3.jpg

Last edited:
We landed with our AWO friends who happen to have a shiney new RV7.
Then a Beaver showed up. Next another RV from AWO. A regular fly-in crowd. Not bad for a Tues.
null_zps2ac6ab29.jpg

null_zps56df10b1.jpg

null_zps4782529c.jpg

After a great snack & coffee we all launched for AWO, enjoying some 3 ship along the way.

Jim, Carol, Terry & Skip

null_zps6861de16.jpg

null_zps98c01e6d.jpg

null_zpsfe178100.jpg

Pop Tart is going Mach Chicken trying to keep up that the prop bent from the massive speed inversion transformer continuium.
null_zpsb4c7f28f.jpg

An awkward reunion with the Czech mistress.....you biatch!
null_zps90532e50.jpg

Who says it rains every day in Seattle....
Terry & Carol's daughter Lauren getting to fly a shiney RV7. Lauren's brother TJ came up after we left and also got to take his pappy for a hop.
Justly proud parents.
null_zps00f1ee05.jpg

Lots of visiting old friends, some Pop Tart MX, more flying and topped off with Turkey O' plenty.

Turkeys to Tucson

We bailed out of WA a bit early to miss some forecasted wx. Flew towards PDX then popped across the Cascades just N of Mt Hood.
null_zpsdecfefba.jpg

null_zpsae574087.jpg

Mt Hood
null_zpseb0ed69b.jpg

null_zpsec3a9dcf.jpg

Pyramid Lake
null_zpsfbd1ff45.jpg

Took the E side of the Cascades & Sierras home. Bend then Lakeview OR. Just E of Reno over Silver Springs NV. We were going to go down the Owens Valley and instead took advantage of the good wx and flew down Sarcobatus Flat and Pahrump Valley.
Lk Havasu, back in AZ. W side of PHX and home sweet home.
null_zps312918a3.jpg

Great trip, we love our little magic carpet RV. What a blast getting to drop in anywhere we want, stay as long as we want and leave whenever we want.
No TSA, no big airports and all their crowds, no thank you.

Happy holidays everyone.

Cathy & Skip

Last edited:
The rough route

It's our first routing by Reno. We thought about cutting back to NorCal around Klamath, but there was forecasted wx around SoCal so we hung out on the E side of the Sierras.

91c002b8c865e334a5f8b78ffed9e773.jpg

Nice

Enjoyed the write up and pics Cathy....keeps us builders banging rivets looking for our adventures in the future! :D

Very Nice...

Awesome write up, sounds like Pop Tart got a little exercise for sure. :)
Share your experience with the Vortex Generators please.

Looks like a great trip

Enjoyed the write-up. Looks like fun. This summer we flew Columbia, CA via Big Bear for a car run with some friends. It was a great trip as well.

I need to take more photos when we go flying.;)

Cathy thanks. Great trip nice pictures as usual. It's a shame Copalis was closed for the season Pop Tart would love that sand. :)

VGs at the beach

Aww, I thought Copalis was seasonal for Weebles too. Good to know otherwise.

As for the VGs...I bought this 6 as is and have not flown any others to compare. I am told by the guys who have put on VGs that they help them stay IN when they're dog fighting each other.

Several in Seattle have put them on so they have better "survivability" in the fight.

As soon as I can find a willing adversary to scramble with I'll let you know if they help.

Vlad, I just read about your tour by Cuba....one for me to put on the list now, along with the many other places on our little planet.

Back